WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Has anyone canned home made hash? I have two hams, and a big bag of russets. I was thinking of cubes of ham, potatoes and onions, put in pint jars. I'm not going to grind it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Has anyone canned home made hash? I have two hams, and a big bag of russets. I was thinking of cubes of ham, potatoes and onions, put in pint jars. I'm not going to grind it.

pressure canned only. regular BWB would not be safe enough. see if you can find the amount of time needed via online recipes that are similar. i've not done any pressure canning to know offhand about how much time meat and potatoes like that should be done.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
pressure canned only. regular BWB would not be safe enough. see if you can find the amount of time needed via online recipes that are similar. i've not done any pressure canning to know offhand about how much time meat and potatoes like that should be done.
Canning time should be based on the meat. Pressure canning pints 10 lb for 75 minutes, quarts for 90. Pretty standard.

There is a lot of robust debate in the groups I follow about the safety of water bathing, which is the primary method in Europe. Most water bathing recommendations are 3+ hours. The critical factor is getting the internal temps high enough for a long enough time. I don't have time or the cooking space for it.

For the record, I only water bath high acid foods. My choice. I know people personally that water bath without incident. I don't want to start a debate over it. For me it's right there with politics and religion. I canned some things this summer that the ABC government agencies say never should be canned, but they turned out just fine. YMMV.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I would blanch the potatoes for two minutes, pack it all in, leaving an inch headspace. Add 1/4 tsp salt for pints, then add boiling water and debubble. The liquid can be discarded when using.

This sounds really good. Dang it, just put the canner up. Lol