WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You may have noticed that I frequently need to be smacked upside the head to realize that I have commited yet another social error. It's the worst part of my ADD. You will soon get used to shaking your head and thinking "There she goes again."

I am going to clean a closet and stop being silly.

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, just a little for today...

I got around to harvesting the carrots that were ready to go in the garden and pressure canned then, I had planned on quarts, but pints made more scene and there was not as much as I though once cut up.

While that was cooking, I used up the tomatoes from our garden (even those pesky cherry tomatoes!) and made 4 pints of spaghetti sauce. I need to hit the farmer's markets and see if I can get a good deal on some tomatoes...

and here is a shot, because photos are always good incentive! ;)

814093.jpg

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beautiful!

If I get around to it, I may pick my yellow beans and get 7 quarts canned. Or, I may pull the blackberry juice out of the freezer, make jelly and get that canned. Or, I might even can up about 7 pints from a huge bowl of 4-bean salad I have in my fridge....

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks, this is the first year for me taking over the canning. My wife has always been afraid of a pressure canner so we pretty much just did pickles. Right now I have two shelves of a cabinet full and we are running out of room! I am going to build some storage cabinets in our cellar to store everything very soon. I may have to go fast, we had chicken tonight and the carcass is in the pot as we speak. That should be good for another four quarts of chicken stock!

Edit: What the heck, I made chicken soup instead... I picked out all the bones and there was quite a bit of meat left, so the celery, onions, meat, & a pint of the carrots I canned yesterday went into the 4 quart jars. I placed the meat & veggies into the quart jars and then added the broth. This way I know there is the same amount in each jar. Now the cook time! Good grief, 1.5 hours! I guess I will be up until 1:30 am! :rolleyes:

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have just found this site which has a lot of very useful info on preserving in it (it even has a section for us Brits -- hooray!!!!). It also allows you to find Pick Your Own Farms in your area:-

http://www.pickyourown.org/

********I think this is one of the best sites I have seen on the subject.*******

We are compiling a STICKY on TEG on FOOD PRESERVATION if anyone needs it!

Hattie

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Been feeling really lousy about myself the past few days. I finally realized that it was because I haven't been producing anything. I was out of jars, and had no produce to dehydrate, so was feeling that I wasn't contributing to the future or something.

This morning, I prayed "Father, I just need a few dollars to get some jars. I have some onions and some frozen asparagus, and I would like to make some soup base. I need to know that you care about me. Will you help."

After the Amen, I had a thought flash into my head that I hadn't looked inside my college lunch box in a while. That's not something you usually think. So, I went to look. $16.90. No reason on earth for it to have been there after all these years...and I am talking maybe six or eight years since I even thought about that old lunch box. I used to use it as a purse. So completely awesome !

So, I decided to make some cream of asparagus and cream of onion soup base !

Then I get an email from my dear friend, and she has a big bag of yellow peaches for me !

Will get the peaches in the morning, and the jars NOW !!!!

It is an embarrassment of riches around here !

God is so good, He loves us so much.

Kris

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's when God is at his best there Kris! It's when you have to rely on faith alone that you see the gifts a little more clear. ;)

Ok, now back to the topic.... I started in on some of the peaches we bought Friday... (I sure do wish I got them for free too! Nawh, I paid dearly for these!) :/

I put up 7 pints and six of these tiny "gift jars" of peach jam today. (Yea, I am getting cheaper! No more half pints!) :lol: (Two batches were made today.)

And another photo to inspire... (Are the photos too much? I like to share, and hope they make someone want to make some too.)

81609.jpg

On some nice news, my darling wife went out and bought me a proper water bath canner today. I have been using a large pot but it would not do quart jars. I had to get a bigger one for the peaches so I am very happy! Plus, now I have freed up my large stock pot too!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Agreed on the God thing !

And good wifey ! That's terrific.

I think at the end of my post I mentioned that I am canning cream of onion and cream of asparagus soup. I snuck it in there just to remain 100% on topic.