WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
technically i canned 24 quarts yesterday because i can only fit 24 quarts in the oven at a time. 2 other quarts were prepped and are in the fridge and they are sealed but not fully processed so they can be used at any time in the next few months, they should be ok.

today i have a bucket of tomatoes to go through and see if i can get anything from them that is worth doing. they won't be canned as Mom wants to just use them right away. if i can get another four quarts that would work well for her plans. i was hoping to not be standing at the sink this morning but oh well, the plans of mice and men were meant to be revised by the management at any time. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and now that's all done and the canning dunk pot is scrubbed clean so that means the end of tomato canning season is officially here. :) 151 quarts + 5 more today. that's plenty enough, we still have a few cases left from last year so those will get used up first.

i don't think the quality of the tomatoes was as nice this year compared to those in the past but they were edible and will come in handy for all sorts of recipes for the coming year. mostly they will go into macaroni and tomatoes, but the rest will be used for all sorts of regular dishes. i'm likely to sneak a few from today's batch into whatever i come up with for brunch. :) they're good plain but also with a bit of butter on them or hot sauce or cheese or onions and ham or ...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Canned 11 quarts of sliced carrots. In a light mango sauce. I got the 25 lb bag from Winco, the local chain feed store when they were having their once a year bulk produce sale.

Ah you sound like Hubby. He gets Wilco and Winco confused all the time when I tell him where I need to go. Doesn't help anyone that its one freaking letter difference between human and animal feed for their names.

I was confused for a moment. I thought you'd bought the juicing carrots Winco carries then you said sale and feed store

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have Winco OR Wilco around here...I like the bulk produce sale though.😊 Closest I get is our local based produce auction. It's good but, sometimes 90-100 melons are more than I'd want 🤣 usually they have some smaller lots. Veggies generally go in something like 1/2 or full bushel boxes. It's definitely a "be ready" for canning, freezing, dehydrating few days after. It's always Thur night. I'm still eating canned carrots from last year's buy.