WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have tons of potatoes from my experimenting on varieties this year... might want to do some canning of them. I have never canned anything that was not water bath..... I have picked up 2 pressure canners over the years at estate sales..for a "maybe I need to learn thng" ..... but my mom never pressure canned.... all vegs and meat went in the freezer... all fruits, jams jellies, pickles, tomatoes, etc were canned.... water bath. In fact we never "canned jellies and jams" in a water bath canner... they were cooked, put in hot jars, sealed and done. In fact we used to do the hot wax on top "way back when"....
I do not like canned green beans or peas... corn either... it all gets frozen.... and do not have the "quick heat and serve" benefits from canned meats and such. Would want to do "heavy duty type pressure canning" WITH someone that has the experience...

So maybe this electric canner would be the ticket for me????

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did you get the 12 qt? I noticed that Amazon has a great price on it right now - 25% off. Might have to try it myself. It's an all-day affair to use the big stove top one...

That is the one! Arrived about an hour ago.
Reviews/updates as events unfold
I have been listening (reading) to folks talking about this canner for a few years and wishing for one. Been thinking about it even more lately. I think there was some discussion on BYH. But you guys just pushed me over the edge with the mention of Amazon having it 25% off. I immediately went over there and ordered one. Will get here next week on my Amazon delivery day.

My DH is gonna kill me! I already have 4 electric pressure cookers- two 6 quart, one 8 quart and one 12 quart, which also has a canning function. But I’m hesitant to use that because I read that only the Presto one meets USDA standards. My 12 quart is a Go Wise. I canned turkey broth in it once, but have not gotten up the nerve to pressure can anything else yet.

I think I will be much more confident with the Presto.

Maybe if I hide my Go Wise away in the basement, DH won’t notice the different one that will be in its place. :hide

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I have been listening (reading) to folks talking about this canner for a few years and wishing for one. Been thinking about it even more lately. I think there was some discussion on BYH. But you guys just pushed me over the edge with the mention of Amazon having it 25% off.
We are enablers like that. :lol:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have tons of potatoes from my experimenting on varieties this year... might want to do some canning of them.

potatoes will store for some time if it is properly done so i think that canning them is a waste of time and resources. i would search for that on-line first and see if it will work for you somehow. then after that if you still have some that won't store well or could use to be canned then go from there. :)

we only can tomatoes now and i've not made cooked jams for quite some time as i like the freezer version much better for those.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
potatoes will store for some time if it is properly done so i think that canning them is a waste of time and resources. i would search for that on-line first and see if it will work for you somehow. then after that if you still have some that won't store well or could use to be canned then go from there. :)

we only can tomatoes now and i've not made cooked jams for quite some time as i like the freezer version much better for those.
Canning potatoes is a HUGE time saver after the batch is finished. When the kids were little, used to get 50 lb bags of potatoes to can. If it's just a person or two, I get what you are saying. But when needing a mess of taters, opening a jar or two made fixing dinner so easy.

I rarely eat potatoes any more, but pulling out a quart of canned potatoes cuts down on the waste when buying fresh, too

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I have tons of potatoes from my experimenting on varieties this year... might want to do some canning of them. I have never canned anything that was not water bath..... I have picked up 2 pressure canners over the years at estate sales..for a "maybe I need to learn thng" ..... but my mom never pressure canned.... all vegs and meat went in the freezer... all fruits, jams jellies, pickles, tomatoes, etc were canned.... water bath. In fact we never "canned jellies and jams" in a water bath canner... they were cooked, put in hot jars, sealed and done. In fact we used to do the hot wax on top "way back when"....
I do not like canned green beans or peas... corn either... it all gets frozen.... and do not have the "quick heat and serve" benefits from canned meats and such. Would want to do "heavy duty type pressure canning" WITH someone that has the experience...

So maybe this electric canner would be the ticket for me????
Canning potatoes is easy peasy. :thumbsup

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about canning potatoes too, because I never use up a bag from the store in time before they go bad. But the price of smaller bags is ridiculous compared to 10 pound bags. So on the rare occasions that I want a few potatoes for something, I could just can the rest before they go bad. And then, the next time I need a few potatoes, if precooked will work, I won’t have to buy any.

The only problem I foresee with this is that I already usually have one can of store bought potatoes in the cupboard in case I need one, and that can sits there for years! I guess I use canned potatoes even less than I use fresh ones. I can envision me stockpiling more and more quarts of potatoes every time I need a few fresh ones, and never making a dent in the pile.

Maybe knowing I canned them myself will have me more conscious of wanting to use them. I could always try it once and see how it goes.

Have any of you made mashed potatoes from canned?