WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
A guy my hubby works with is giving us a load of peaches. Would I just put them in a syrup and can them or is there a better recipe for peaches. I will be making at least one batch of jam. Ideas please!!!!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
A guy my hubby works with is giving us a load of peaches. Would I just put them in a syrup and can them or is there a better recipe for peaches. I will be making at least one batch of jam. Ideas please!!!!
Canning Peaches

To can peaches choose ripe, mature fruit of ideal quality for eating fresh or cooking. Peaches can be packed in very light, light or medium sugar syrup. They can also be packed in water, apple juice or white grape juice. Prepare the liquid syrup and keep it hot.

Remove skins from peaches by using a small paring knife or if preferred, dip fruit in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds until skins loosen. Dip quickly in cold water and slip off skins. Cut in half, remove pits and slice to quarters for better fit. When canning Cling peaches before removing skin it is necessary to cut around the peach and down to the pit with a paring knife and then while holding peach in the palms of your hands twist fruit in opposite directions to separate halfs. Then use a peach pit knife to remove pit.

Drop cut fruit into mixture of 1 gallon water and 2 tablespoons each salt and vinegar. This will help to keep peaches from darkening. When all the fruit has been cut, rinse and drain before packing.

Cold Pack into sterilized jars and cover with boiling sugar syrup leaving 1/2 inch head space.
Run a rubber spatula or table knife gently between peaches and jar to release trapped air bubbles. Add more syrup if needed. Wipe rim and screw threads with a clean damp cloth. Add lid, screw band and tighten firmly and evenly. Do not over tighten.

Place jars on rack of hot water bath canner, lower rack gently, bring water back to boil and process using the hot water bath method.
pts. 25 min.
qts. 30 min.
Yields

48 pounds--18 to 24 quarts
After processing, remove jars immediately, place on a rack to cool.

Hope this helps ya! :) I have a 5 gallon bucket of peaches to do.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh, I'm envious--peaches! I like cutting peaches and laying them on cookie sheets, freezing them and them dumping them into freezer containers. We use them for smoothies made with just frozen peaches and lemonade.

Today I canned honey-blueberry jam, lemon-blueberry jam and am now waiting for my mint to steep before finishing up mint jelly.

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I did 8 pints of carrots this morning - now I'm off to work. After work tomorrow, I'll be doing beets and a batch of pickles- though I'm not sure what kind I'm making first. We did Beans and Peas earlier in the week, and will likely do more this weekend as well.
goodcloseup.jpg

jkm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made chutney from an English cook book, the River cottage cook book.
It turned out great.... lots of veggies.
I want to make another batch and add peppers to it, in a month.
It will be perfect with cold trukey sandwhiches or roll ups.

I have a 1 lb pate in my slow cooker, the rescipe from River Cottage, it smelled great before I put it in.
Glad I planted three sages this year.....

I would love to make jalepeno relish..... send it my way?
cheers

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm on my second batch of my great great grandma's chile sauce. Boy, is it yummy! Sweet and tangy. We had some with our scrambled eggs today and it was delish.

ps. this thread is making me hungry :D - everything everyone is canning sounds so good!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
I canned sliced jalapenos and my favorite condiment, jalapeno relish.
Ditto for me on the jalepeno relish. I have them coming out of my ears. ;)