WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My tomatoes have finally started to turn so today I will be putting up salsa. By the end of the week I hope to do tomatoes and spaghettil sauce as well!!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I should have put up tomatoe sauce, or done SOMETHING with the ooooodles of them that I have!! Does anyone have good recipes for sauce, juice, or anything else? I've done a bunch of salsa, so I'm looking for other ways to do them. Already gonna do whole tomatoes for chili, stew, etc.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is how I made the jalapeno relish. It is very easy. I used rubber gloves of course and chopped up the jalapenos. Then I chopped up onions. 3 part jalapenos to 1 part onions. Put them in the blender together. I added vinegar while it was in the blender, just enough to cover it and make it blend. Heat up in pot. Do not quite bring to boil. Put in hot jars and process for 10 minutes.

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I was talked into making spaghetti sauce insted of salsa by my youngest son. His favorite meal is spaghetti so I told him if he would help me I would make it. He was a huge help. He peeled half the tomatoes and chopped all of them. It turned out great! I made it a little chunkier this time so the sauce is nice and thick with big chunks of tomaoes and diced onions and peppers. Should be yummy.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
This is how I made the jalapeno relish. It is very easy. I used rubber gloves of course and chopped up the jalapenos. Then I chopped up onions. 3 part jalapenos to 1 part onions. Put them in the blender together. I added vinegar while it was in the blender, just enough to cover it and make it blend. Heat up in pot. Do not quite bring to boil. Put in hot jars and process for 10 minutes.
Thanks for posting it. I think I my try it to use up all of my jalepenos.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I canned peach preserves yesterday, will get a pic up later. Also went today to a peach orchard with our church and picked a trunk full of peaches (a car trunk full) I shared with 4 other families and I my kitchen still looks like a peach bomb hit it. LOL :)

Will get started on those peaches soon. Going tomorrow to pick more grapes and Mon. or Tues. of next week I am gonna go and pick some apples for apple butter and sauce. May even leave some whole.

So what are you canning today? :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
I should have put up tomatoe sauce, or done SOMETHING with the ooooodles of them that I have!! Does anyone have good recipes for sauce, juice, or anything else? I've done a bunch of salsa, so I'm looking for other ways to do them. Already gonna do whole tomatoes for chili, stew, etc.
Pioneergirl,
I had loads of various colored cherry toms, i sliced them in half, drizzled with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, added a few cloves of garlic, drizzle of vinegar and roasted them....then canned them. They are delish with meat and or over pasta. I did two flavors, balsamic vinegar with rosemary (put the rosemary in to roast with the toms) and white wine vinegar with basil (which I added after the roasting.) Both are delish!

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Could someone PLEASE post their recipe for Spaghetti sauce, pretty please
I have a simple way of making spaghetti sauce. It is not quite a recipe but see what you think...

In a roasting pan I drizzle olive oil, probably around 1/2 cup, then I add chopped onions, green peppers, and a few cloves of minced garlic. ( you can add other veggies such as mushroom and what not as well ) Put in warm oven, about 300, stirring every so often. Then I peel and chop my tomatoes, placing them in a colander to drain off the juice. ( I save the juice and can this also ) Add enough tomatoes to fill the roaster about 1/2 full. At this point I add chopped fresh basil, and a little parcel. You could also use parsley and/or celery if you do not have parcel. Then bake in the oven stirring occasionally untill it thickens. At this point it is ready to be placed in hot jars. Place in hot water canner for 35 minutes.

Edited to add... It is better to under season the sauce and then add a little more flavor when you cook with it then to over season it at first. The flavor tends to come out more as it sits and the basil can become bitter. Hope this helps.