WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Choose round crabapples, uniform in size. Wash and drain. Do not peel....
Can you even imagine??

I canned up the sauce I made Mon night (15 pints), plus more salsa and a bit more cowboy caviar left over from the weekend's festivities. Tonight I will do more salsa and/or chunky tomatoes--probably about 14 quarts more.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just canned pears and pear preserves! I am so proud. Now if I can just get something else to learn to can. Trip to the Farmer's Market Saturday! BTW that sounds kinda like what I call spiced apples. That's how I made them last year. They were so good!

me&thegals

Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I just canned more corn cob syrup. :)
My wonderful guy did all the husking and cutting of the last herbed corn I put up, but then he threw all the cobs to the chickens!! Even though I had asked him to save them. The rest of the corn is headed towards cornmeal consistency, so I will have to wait until next year to use your recipes :(

me&thegals

Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I just canned pears and pear preserves!
Can you tell us more about your preserves? I have been offered LOTS of pears from a friend and will be looking for many ways to preserve them :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
miss_thenorth said:
I just canned more corn cob syrup. :)
My wonderful guy did all the husking and cutting of the last herbed corn I put up, but then he threw all the cobs to the chickens!! Even though I had asked him to save them. The rest of the corn is headed towards cornmeal consistency, so I will have to wait until next year to use your recipes :(
Well, I put up about 4 more litres today. this time I used more brown sugar m and the kids were my taste testers. they said it was awesome!! too bad about yur cobs going to the birds prematurely. there's always next year. :)

I am getting a motherload of tomatoes tomorrow (for free!!!!!) ( but I will give her a chicken or two in trade ;)) so right now I am scrounging for the best recipes for salsa, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce etc etc.

i'm still not sure whether I need to pressure can or just water bath, I don't know if my pressure canner is accurate, ( I haven't used it in 10 years)----EEEEk, I'm just stressing, cuz I wasn't expecting the tomatoes tomorrow-- and tomorrow morning I have to bring in my meaties to the butcher.

And to top it al off, what is a pint in metric? A quart is a litre?? I have all different size jars, the recipes I'm reading are in pint/quart etc, and my jars that i bought are metric sizes, so now I'm stressing over that, cuz the instructions are different for different sized jars.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I steam bath my tomato stuff. If I've added low-acid items for salsa or herbs for sauce, I add 1 T of vinegar, lemon juice or lime juice to up the acidity.

As for metric versus non, there are lots of great online calculators.

Good luck! Awesome deal with the tomatoes!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I always water bath my tomato products as well. I second the motion on adding a bit of lemon juice or even vinegar if the recipe is leaning that way (like ketchup for example).

Today I am going to put my yellow tomatoes in the cockpot to start some "Sunrise Salsa".

Basically the same as a regular salsa (tomatoes, hot peppers, onions, cilantro, and cumin) but with only a very few red tomatoes mixed in with mostly yellow ones and I try to use the red jalapeno peppers when possible. Tastes great but also provides good visual impact for those fancy company dinners!

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
butter peas, alot of them. 23 jars and counting. they are the best little peas/beans ive ever had.