WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Firefyter-Emt said:
RE: mold on jam... My first thought was either the head-space was too large, or maybe the boiling was not long enough. Did you count down from the time the jam went in the pot, of from when the water was back up to a boil? You should be waiting for the time count down when the water is at a boil.

I finished up some canning last night and canned four quarts of chicken soup. My darling wife bought some 5lb bags of carrots on a "buy one get one free" deal so after the soup's carrots were measured out, I was able to put away 12 pints of them too. (I would of done quarts, but with slightly picky eaters, a pint per meal fits us better.

I also just got a line on some crab-apples so it looks like more jam soon!

Here is another lovely photo for you all:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/91109.jpg
Those look scrumptious!!

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks, it's so much easier at dinner time to open up a can and re-heat than to cook them down. Plus, this ensures that we are not tossing wilted carrots after sitting in the "crisper drawer"... What an oxy-moron there, I have yet to see anything get "crisper" in that drawer to date!

PS, cool canning recipe found today... I am going to try this one! ;)

"Root Beer Jelly"

2-cups root beer
6-cups sugar
1-cup water
1- "bottle" liquid pectin (sorry, no explenation on the bottle, I am thinking one packet will work of liquid pectin given the sugar make up of the soda)

Combine all ingredients except pectin
Heat to boil
Add pectin
Stir to hard boil, hold for 30 seconds (I think a minute myself)

Process in a water bath for 5 min

**Note, may substitute cola or cream soda

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I canned 40 pints and pint and a half jars of pears from a friends tree. :D There weren't as many pears as last year though. :(

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just finished making home made croutons from hot dog buns we got free after a hot dog fundraiser sale. put up three bags of them, now I am going to start canning three gallons of tomatoes that I got from my garden"Finally" this is the first sizable amount I have gotten, Lynn in Okla.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Nancy, here is my Cranberry/Jalapeno Jelly recipe you requested for all to share, it is excellent as a glaze for ham or pork loin, taste great on a grilled cheese sandwich too!!! Lynn

Cranberry/Jalapeno Jelly

3 cups cranberry juice (I used bottled juice)
1 cup seeded jalapeno peppers
2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
2 pouches (3 oz. ea.) liquid fruit pectin
10 drops red food coloring- optional, but sure is pretty

Place cranberry juice and peppers in a blender,
cover and process until peppers are fully chopped, Strain through a double thickness of cheese cloth, Pour the strained juice into a large kettle, add sugar, Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly, Stir in vinegar and pectin, return to a full rolling boil, Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly, Remove from heat, skim foam, Add food coloring, if desired, Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, Adjust caps and process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Enjoy!!!! Lynn

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm trying my first-ever batch of tomato soup. Went to the local market fruit on Thursday and picked up a 1/2 bushel of "blemished" tomatoes for $10. It really stinks having to buy tomatoes, but the garden only gave me enough to eat fresh and make 6 qts of sauce. :somad

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
In one canner, 19 pints (those awful Golden Harvest jars really mess up the loading capacity!) of catfood, and in the other canner, 12 pints of catfood and 5 pints of chicken broth. I have a pint of fat with a little broth congealing in the fridge for dividing and freezing later. I plan to separate the broth from the fat, then mix dried garden herbs, garlic and onion powders, and salt and pepper into the fat and freeze it in little half cup portions for roasting veggies....soon, if this cool weather keeps up! Yum!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
(those awful Golden Harvest jars really mess up the loading capacity!)
I feel your pain free. :he I mentioned this awhile back when I discovered it. Don't remember if it was this thread or not. I bought a dozen last year at Big Lots because they were cheaper and found out that all 7 qts wouldn't fit in the pot. They're now relegated to the back of the shelf and won't be pulled out unless I run out of jars and can't run out to get the real thing.
Another example of you get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
They were only a few cents cheaper and NOT-NOT-NOT worth it!!!

See, I'm so mad I'm stuttering! :rolleyes: