WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a huge # 10 can of blackberry preserves I bough today. Can I open it up and re can it into 1 pint jars? If so Should I bring it to a boil and can as normal? Or will it go runny? Maybe this is not a good idea. Let me know what you think.

thanks gina

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm not sure, but it's hard to imagine that the texture would not change. Do you have room to freeze it?

I hope to get tomato soup and salsa canned up. I have a sink full of reject and beautiful tomatoes that need to be taken care of before I leave town tomorrow morning. Time to get cutting!

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I canned 20 pints of salsa..Also 10 and 1/2 quarts of apple pie filling. When my pie filling was done I realized I forgot the 3 and 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice. I need a expert. They all sealed, do I have to redo them? I water bathed them 20 min.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I turned my salsa into peach salsa--oh yum!

Sparks, I don't think you have to. The apples should be acidic enough, I think. When you open them, be sure to bake or boil them thoroughly if you are worried. It could be the lemon juice was to prevent browning...

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&the gals...Thanks so much..It really looks great:) We love peach salsa too!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok, random question - has anyone had a problem with lid sealing and mold contents on top?

About three years ago we did several dozen jars of apricot jam. They all sealed properly (waterbath) and tasted great. Set them in the basement with our other canned goods, but after a while we noticed mold on the tops of the jam. Every jar has it. We didn't add rings to them but they sealed fine. In fact it takes quite a while to get the tops off.

I admit, I've been spooning to tops off and eating it still. I probably shouldn't as I'm allergic to mold. It tastes great but we can't figure out what went wrong. Everything was sterilized and the jars and lids were new.

Anyone had this happen before? Suggestions? I haven't read through the entire post so no idea if something like this has been addressed before.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I had that happen with strawberry jam last year. They would be sealed just fine, but would have bits (teeny-tiny) of mold on top. We just do what you do - scrape it off and eat it. :hide

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Was your jam foamy to begin with?

I have sometimes had that problem with foamy jam. I think the foam stays cooler than the product. If that was the problem try adding a pea sized ball of butter to your jam recipe and then skim the foam off as much as possible before jarring.

Also watch the head space. Jams, and jellies should only have about 1/8 of an inch of space at the top of the jar.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm still canning tomatoes. Today it's gonna just be plain ol' tomato sauce and maybe some diced tomatoes if I get energetic. I hate to say it when so many people lost their tomato crops but I'm getting a little tired of all these tomatoes. I'll sure be grateful for them this winter though, won't I?

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
RE: mold on jam... My first thought was either the head-space was too large, or maybe the boiling was not long enough. Did you count down from the time the jam went in the pot, of from when the water was back up to a boil? You should be waiting for the time count down when the water is at a boil.

I finished up some canning last night and canned four quarts of chicken soup. My darling wife bought some 5lb bags of carrots on a "buy one get one free" deal so after the soup's carrots were measured out, I was able to put away 12 pints of them too. (I would of done quarts, but with slightly picky eaters, a pint per meal fits us better.

I also just got a line on some crab-apples so it looks like more jam soon!

Here is another lovely photo for you all:
91109.jpg