WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Brilliant ladies of the forum I am in dire need of your wisdom and ideas.I have zucchini and squash coming out my ears and my kids don't like it :/ I have froze meals sliced mixed and did pickles from them I liked they still didnot. and to be honest the only way I am use to fixing it is baked slices with buter and sesonings. They did like bread made from it. So I need ideas how to preserve it and then ways to use it later. was thinking some relishes but how do you use relishes. the only relish i am use to is hotdog relish. saw another for tomatos and zucchini but did not know how i would use it in a dish. thanks ahead my mentors

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I made green relish with some of mine, chopped relish. I found out that the relish my niece had been giving me for years was made from squash. I never knew it wasn't cucumbers.

I also pickled it mixed with yellow squash and onions, sweet peppers and patty pan. Used ACV and pre mixed pickling spices and instead of white sugar used brown and it wsa great.

I also thinly sliced some, dusted it with season salt and dehydrated it into round chips. My favorite was BBQ salt.

I sliced it thick and fried it like green tomatoes. Chopped it fine and mixed it with marinara sauce. When I was bored, I carved it into food animals.

I grated it and dehydrated the shreds, then crumbled them up so I can add them to meatloaf, or actually anything else. You can even run the dehydrated squash through a blender or food processor to make it into powder and slip it into anything you want to cook.

I made zucchini pancakes, zucchini and cheese casserole, a zucchini frittata, stuffed zucchini with italian sausage and parmesean cheese stuffing, made multiple loaves of zucchini bread, and when I considered zucchini jelly I ripped out my plants.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I dice it up in spaghetti sauce. I dice them up in omelets and frittatas. I dice them up in casseroles. Mostly nobody is the wiser.

The secret for zucchini success is to pick them when they are very small. Smaller than your hand - even better smaller than your finger! SO so yummy at that size and suddenly you don't have so many to deal with.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today, I canned the broth from my chicken processing. 3 pints didnt seal...so looks like we will have something chickeny for dinner. LOL
Only canned a few jars, for now. WAY too much going on here to get much more canning done. So the rest is in the freezer, waiting...to be canned. I did a few quarts, for "family dinners" and the rest will be in pints, for our dinners. Just hubby and I here, so quarts are way too much, really.
99_cannedchicken2010.jpg

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I shred my zuchinni and squash and keep it in the freezer. It is easy to add to pasta sauce, stir fry, soups, etc. and usually nobody notices. My DH and I also love zuchinni fritters.

1 shredded zuchinni (not too large)
1 cup flour
2 eggs
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 clove chopped garlic
Enough milk to give the consistency of biscuit dough.

Drop in hot oil, drain, and serve with something to dip in (we often use homemade mayo).

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ohhh I am so going to try those fritters. Yummo. I will start freezing some small potions shredded.
I have got to share this recipe. well recipe kinda please exuse the nonmeasurments. My hubby ran over some tomatoes while mowing and could not waste ya know. So I madesome soup and will be canning some. Any suggestions on timing would be great I am thinking the ham has the longest process time of all ing. so I m thinking that would be the time to go with but will wait for suggestions but here it goes. Beware though it is oneof the best soups I ever tasted and don't like tomatoes except sauce and ketchup. lol

Green and red tomatoe soup

garlic salt
basil oragano and parsley to taste
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
7 cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
4 chopped green
4 chopped red tomatos (more if you like it thinker or tomatos are small
Shredded parmasian cheese

In a stockpot put chopped tomatoes and corn. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. (I added some katchup because my tomatoes were still orange in color just to givea little moretomatoe tast)
Stir in vegetable broth, reduce heat to low and cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper basil oragano and parsley. Add shredded parmasian cheese to each bowl while serving.

Original Recipe Yield 4 to 6 servings

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I'm late...yesterday I did 2 pints of peas. Thats all that were ready from the garden, and I'm sure there will be more in a week or so, but I was so excited I couldn't wait! haha

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Your photos are stunning. You have an artist's eye !

I bet your jelly is every bit as delicious as the pictures are lovely !

Latest posts