WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This isn't really canning but I saw on a YouTube video on preserving eggs from "18th Century Cooking". The best way to preserve eggs with 100% preservation after 2 years was using slaked lime in water. I don't remember the exact measurements but plan on watching it again to be sure. It was said to be a superior method to pickling, glassing, salt, etc. Here is the video link.

Last edited:

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our church gave every family a frozen turkey Sunday. I thawed mine and we ate it but I'm using the carcass plus a chicken carcass from a cockerel I dispatched yesterday for stock. I have my big electric roaster full and ready to can. I will try to get a canner full (7 quarts.), if not I do a jar or two of dried beans. I do love canned beans. It will be nice to have some stock ready to go. Stock in the grocery store is so expensive and mine taste much richer.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BTW, I have seen that egg video before and I want to do some eggs in slacked lime one day....

I keep my dried beans in the pantry and also canned in various ways. Always good for an instant meal...I like that. I also keep about 100 pints of chicken and turkey broth on my shelf most of the time...

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
preserve eggs, chicken/turkey stock! man i learn something every time i come here. really. you guys are great! i can not even use store bought stock any more. seriously. :eek:
i have been working on dashi lately.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Speaking of dried beans, @waretrop I ran across something the other day that I was not aware of. If you soak and cook your dry beans in hard water, the skins can be tough... unless you add salt to your soaking water. It seems that the pectin molecules in the skins are tightly bound by calcium and magnesium; the salt replaces some of these ions, causing the pectin to weaken and the skins are less likely to burst during cooking.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whoooa!!!!! You have blown me away......I knew you had to soak them in lots of salt and that would help you not to get so much gas...but.....that's all I knew.....YUP! we all learn lots from each other... THANKS

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got the last of the onions made into french onion soup and canned up...I got 31 pints and 2 pints that didn't seal. So at $30 dollars my french onion soup costs less than $1.00 a pint which holds 2 servings. That is 50 cents per serving add a little toasted stale bread and some cheese and you got a good soup. Why do the restaurants charge $5.50 and $6.00 for it????

I am going to invite the chef at this little diner in town to one of my soups. Let him prepare it and have a sit down with me....He will like mine more than his and maybe he will cook his onions all the way after that...His are crunchy....YUK....
more onion soup.jpg

I am set for a while....