WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've made the copycat Baby Ray's barbecue sauce which is really good. I keep telling DH I'm going to can a few jars. I never have bothered but it would be nice. The Wildbunch can eat anything with barbecue sauce baked on or dipped in it, lol.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Defrosting maters still...they take a long time. I'll juice those tonight and can them tomorrow. So far I've canned 22 pts and 5 qts of tomato soup, which isn't bad considering I didn't think I'd get any crop at all out of those poor, pitiful tomato plants.
Some of the crop were sacrificed as green tomatoes for canning corn and also to the family for fried green tomatoes. Some was eaten fresh here as well.

Don't know how much soup I'll get out of this last little batch of tomatoes, but any will be better than none. That's how I feel about canning...any is better than none at all.

Slowly the shelves are filling and I still have to can chicken and deer, which will be a hard fit on the shelves....may have to do some creative storage for those, but I have a few ideas.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got 6 more qts. of soup out of the crop, for a total of 11 qts. and 22 pts. Better than I put up last year, though I used some of the tomatoes last year for salsa. Pretty pitiful compared to how many we used to be able to grow and put up on the same space. Just been bad tomato years these past few.

I've decided I'm going to put a wide shelf across one wall of the pantry, up high over the door, to hold all our various counter top appliances, large kettles, pans and sundry so I can free up the shelves on which they currently reside for holding canned goods.

I'll buy some shelf brackets this next Tuesday and an appropriate board for it. Needs to happen...NOW. Got to find a place for the canned meats and broths that are coming.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been checking out the pantry lately with an eye to space for the big canners and such also. They take up a LOT of space

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Agreed. I used to store them up in the shed, but recently had to make room up there for a lot of extra things being stored there.

Now to find room for those, plus the juicer, the grain mill, blender, crockpots, wheat tin, lanterns, stockpots, etc. That long and wide shelf is going to help tremendously.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
8 pints of stewed tomatoes

Freeze coming in tonight so I was out this afternoon trying to take the last of the garden in. Now I just need to preserve it.

IMG_20171016_182504886.jpg