WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
More tomatoes last night; canned and frozen.

Pretty much just green ones left now. (Tried fried green tomatoes for the first time...wow, they really were delicious. So much sweeter then I expected)

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love green tomatoes but it's been years since I had a big crop of them. My few tomatoes in the last couple of years have been really stingy.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My friend gave me a jar of green tomato mincemeat that her parents made. Going to look up what to do with it, might be an option my green tomatoes if I like it.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My favorite green tomato is green tomato pickles.

I canned 15 half-pint jars of strawberry preserves. I'm trying to can up some of the freezer reserves to make some room. Right now it is bursting at the seams with all the produce I got this spring and summer.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Canning chicken and stock today...the house smells wonderful!!! A gloomy day outside, with fall in full blaze of colors, and a warm and toasty, fragrant house inside. The wood stove feels intoxicating!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got 10 packed qts. of boneless chicken today. Will can the stock tomorrow or the next day. Slim pickin's compared to previous years. Have yet to kill my own flock birds but only have 4-5 of those to do, so won't add much to the larder.

So far I've only canned 17 qts of chicken and 5 qts. of stock, with more of the stock to come. In previous years I've canned 28-40 qts. of chicken per year, so this year's stores are pretty low. But I thank God for even those! Food in the jar today is food I didn't have stored up yesterday.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well if it makes you feel better @Beekissed , I haven't canned anything chicken! I don't have a pressure canner, so stock I make will have to be frozen...I just still haven't gotten around to it:oops:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well if it makes you feel better @Beekissed , I haven't canned anything chicken! I don't have a pressure canner, so stock I make will have to be frozen...I just still haven't gotten around to it:oops:

Girl, you need to be haunting the sales and Good Will for you a canner. I just use a small Mirro PC I got off Amazon for $38 and free s/h. It's been worth every penny!

Finished up with 19 qt. of stock out of this last batch of chickens. Will have more when I can up my own flock's culls and roosters.

Funny thing...I'm running out of qt. jars. That hasn't happened in a long time, so the Lord is blessing us this year greatly. Even running out of shelf space. And still haven't canned up any deer yet, been too warm for the boys to hunt yet, but when they do at least one of the boys will want his canned up and stored up here. I'll use up all the pts I have left over for his deer until I just HAVE to go buy more jars.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I busted open my first 1/2 gallon jar of fermented dill pickles tonight. Even after being water bathed they are still crunchy - wild black cherry tree leaves worked their magic. they are most definitely full sours. Just about the right amount of salt and sour - so good :) This will be my recipe go forward. Very addicting... I finished one and find myself craving another one but one is enough. I'll most likely eat one every day throughout the winter.

All that white in the jar is lactic acid which is really good for me. Much better for me than vinegar. They say there is a lot of health benefits to eating lactic acid.
IMG_20171109_233325791.jpg

I haven't tried the hot dills - call me chicken I guess.

Last edited: