WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
People used to live longer when they ate a lot of fermented food, it most likely will help keep you healthier this winter.

Killed the last 5 chickens of the season this morning and will can them up tomorrow. Only thing left to can after that will be any deer the boys get.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oo fermented pickles. I want fermented pickles
Me too…

I remember going through a "pickle" phase in my late teens. I'd buy jars of the stuff at the supermarket and sit and eat them out of the jar until I was so sour, my stomach was burning up. Loved that stuff!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Running out of quart jars this year. Can't say that has happened for a good while, so it sort of feels weird~kinda good because I know all my jars are filled with food, but kinda bad because I may have to buy more jars and then will have to store them when they are empty, which is something I struggle to do here anyway.

As it is, I have two doz. pts I'll have to use to can the deer meat, which is not how we normally do it, but at least that will use up every bit of my jars before I have to buy more.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Finishing up the last of the chicken canning season with 5 more qts of chicken and 7 more qts. of stock. Will finally be done with that tonight.

Final tally on chicken this year is 22 qt. of chicken, 26 qt. of stock, with 1 qt. of chicken left over from last year. Not as good as previous years but still good to have on the shelf.

Now, on to deer....not looking forward to that as I can no longer eat deer meat. The smells will drive me crazy.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A big sour garlic dill fermented pickle a day keeps the doctor away. Well that's what I hope anyway ;) this is my best batch ever and way better than store bought vinegar pickles :duc.

You all are gonna have to try the recipe next year I know you won't be disappointed. The recipe is on page 254 ---> https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/what-are-you-canning-today.212/page-254

Lol and yes that's a 10" paper plate.
IMG_20171111_242953400.jpg

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
A big sour garlic dill fermented pickle a day keeps the doctor away. Well that's what I hope anyway ;) this is my best batch ever and way better than store bought vinegar pickles :duc.

You all are gonna have to try the recipe next year I know you won't be disappointed. The recipe is on page 254 ---> https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/what-are-you-canning-today.212/page-254

Lol and yes that's a 10" paper plate.
View attachment 5286
I'm going to check this out, thanks!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Running out of quart jars this year. Can't say that has happened for a good while, so it sort of feels weird~kinda good because I know all my jars are filled with food, but kinda bad because I may have to buy more jars and then will have to store them when they are empty, which is something I struggle to do here anyway.

As it is, I have two doz. pts I'll have to use to can the deer meat, which is not how we normally do it, but at least that will use up every bit of my jars before I have to buy more.
What a wonderful problem to have! :)

Latest posts