WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some chicken stock/broth today. To freeze.
IMG_20171207_194024238.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I go through my chicken and beef stock so quickly that it hardly makes sense to can it, and I rarely have the room to freeze it. So we do like they did in the old days- we have a stock pot on the stove all the time at a bare simmer, and once a day we bring it to a full boil for about 15 minutes. I just ladle out what I need when I need it. When we add new carcasses (carcassi?) we pull the old bones out and add more water. I've kept a pot going for 2 months that way, before someone forgot to boil it and it went south on us.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't think it's canned, I think it is just in mason jars- think I remember @treerooted saying she doesn't have pressure canning capability. Am I right? :)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You got it NH. I've got the cans, so I'd rather use that rather then a plastic bag.

I suppose this should really be under "what did you preserve today?"? Ah well, it's in cans, homemade from home-raised. It counts :D :hide

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It does! FWIW, many, many, many people water bath things that are supposed to only be pressure canned, according to the USDA. They just water bath them for 3 hours~don't ask me why that's the magic number but that's what they all say. I never WB anything longer than 90 min. If whatever is in there isn't dead in 1.5 hrs, it's not likely to die in 3 hrs of boiling either.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I might for myself, but I'm extra cautious with a toddler. It's all about degree of risk, some things I'll be riskier then with others.

I find freezing is easy anyway and I've got lots of space, so there's no real draw to the water bath more then I already do.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm the same way, even if something is probably fine I follow "the rules" when it comes to things DD is going to eat. I don't even do raw milk. I'm sure it's fine, but I'm not about to be that one in a million.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And.... driving is a necessity in the modern world - risking your life on botulism isn't. I DO know a family that was gravely ill from botulism from home-canned meat that wasn't pressured. Happens that it was my aunt from WV that canned deer meat without pressure canning it.

The youngest child involved is in her 50's now and she was afflicted when she was a pre-teen. She had paralysis that not only affected her exterior, but it affected her intestines. She has, for over 40 years had major problems. Her mom, the canner who took the "so-called risk" nearly died, but made a more complete recovery.

Same reason I don't walk outside in a lightning storm. Same reason I don't play Russian roulette. Common sense SHOULD protect you from botulism - unfortunately it appears to me that the folks who take that chance don't seem to have an abundance of common sense.

Last edited: