WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Vac sealing does help with any/all the frozen things. I have 3 of them :hide but, not had a garden this past yr, small the yr before. I know it's an "oversell" BUT -- I can explain. :rolleyes:

First, I BOUGHT one when I butchered the pigs. Then, a few months later my demo job was for them -- got another one sent to me free. :lol: Another person, few month later, has similar and didn't WANT the unit -- gave to me. :clap I''m loaded with the machines AND a lot of bags & rolls. Ready for summer produce. You know, you can slip those bags into hot water & warm the foods that are ready to eat except for that heating. Plus it is a good way to waterproof/store things -- matches, documents, any many things.

The canning does give more room in freezer -- which isn't huge -- and it provides food that does not need any frig/freezer. Keeps a long time. I like both methods and use both.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The only down side to using the vac bags is... the cost of the bags. I buy the Walmart brand dbl rolls of bags. But, compared to the cost of buying the food, OR the cost of throwing out freezer burned food, they are well worth it. Do you use the hose attachment to vac seal canning jars? If so, do you find it to be a worth while process?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use the hose attachment for my herbs. I always have several jars of some types.

I've used it on extra rice and lentils stored in half gallon jars.

There is a sport store that has lower prices on the Weston brand rolls. I wait for the yearly sale they get on the food storage stuff then buy rolls.

I need to look for a new vacuum sealer. Mine's 12 years old and well used. It's starting to have issues latching. I guess I'll get one when it doesn't latch at all.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only down side to using the vac bags is... the cost of the bags. I buy the Walmart brand dbl rolls of bags. But, compared to the cost of buying the food, OR the cost of throwing out freezer burned food, they are well worth it. Do you use the hose attachment to vac seal canning jars? If so, do you find it to be a worth while process?
Purchase bags thru Amazon, much cheaper

Latest posts