WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know I have to put a small heater in my storage when the temps get too low. I had several jars lose their seal one year before I started doing this.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Canning up chicken tomorrow from the fall cull. And one duck. Will make stock also. Will skim some schmaltz, though it won't be much this time around.

Can't wait to tick that chore off the list.....may have to can up some deer, but after that I can give the canner a rest for awhile.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I scrubbed and dishwasher washed some more canning jars to be ready for Spring! LOL....nothing in them but "clean". I put a big, clear trash bag in the box, then jars, and seal. When ready, only run thru DW to rewash, heat for fill and use. Have a couple hundred ready now. Been buying on the cheap as I find them. Have loads of new lids & rings. JUST need the garden now.

I do have another 15-20# of apples to work up. They are in the cool & dark now, so a next week job. Guess some more chunky applesauce will be done. Then, a few will be dehydrated -- I love them as a snack.

There are 3 turkey breasts and a whole turkey in the freezer. I'm considering thawing, cutting up and canning. Would be used more easily for me -- home alone. LOL Then use carcass for broth.
That's a job for when I have more time in a month or so.....

Britesea has inspired me to think this frozen to canned. For me, it's more of an easier use than freezer space issue. But the freezer is really full! Have a lot of goat milk, goat cheese, etc., in there. Jan will be make soap month. Much cheese will get used in winter in cooking. Most is ricotta. No hard cheese in there. Some pig & goat in there, also.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't really trust my freezer- I've had too many die the True Death over the years, and I can't even begin to calculate how many thousands of dollars' worth of food I've had to throw away. Canned meat has it's limitations, but at least it's good for years, if not decades. I've also been very happy with my freeze dryer although I haven't eaten a whole lot of meat from that yet. The baby shrimp worked out great though- tasted just like when I bought them after only 5 minutes of soaking in some water.

What about making some fruit leather with your apples? I spice it up like I was making applesauce or whatever and it makes a delicious snack

Latest posts