WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never tried leathers but, mainly because I don't eat it often at all. No kids around anymore to help with the eating. Once I can the applesauce, it's good for a long time, only me to eat it. The apples are free, I eat a few fresh but, not fast enough, so process some.

I am considering some jerky this year. Who knows!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you don't eat much apple sauce but people like apple pie you can put up apple pie filling which is also good for making other things (tarts, cobblers, ...).

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started the New Year off right-- 7 quarts of turkey bone broth, 8 pints of pulled turkey meat from the drumsticks, and a 2-pound coffee can of rendered fat. Then I froze the two turkey wings, 2 thighs, and a couple of small turkey breast roasts (about 1/4 of the total breast meat). I cubed and cooked the rest of the breast meat and freeze dried that. We still have one more turkey to go. One of the pints of pulled meat didn't seal, so it's in the fridge for a meal this week.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You go @Britesea!

I did 7 pints of lemon juice yesterday and plan to keep going today. We use a lot of lemon juice, lol. But, it was a really bountiful lemon year and my three trees have outdone themselves after getting nada last year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've preserved some in sugar - haven't tried them in salt. The sugar cured ones are really good finely chopped in a lemon cookie. :) But, we use more lemon juice than anything else - which is why I'm juicing and canning.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As posted in SS Café thread, I've ben canning chicken breasts, applesauce & apple butter. Home Sat/Sun, so hope to finish the apples. Rain all day tomorrow -- good inside activity.

I will need to order more lids & some rings for Spring but, had what I needed for now. Glad I had my jars "ready". Have a few more boxes of jars to scrub & sanitize to package up for use.
I priced out Lehman's, All American, WalMart & a local feed store. So far, WM is ahead (Ball brand). Been 6 mos, I'll recheck all before ordering.

Any great prices....pass it on. LOL

Latest posts