WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When the darker colored sweet potatoes were on sale at Thanksgiving, I bought extra to can. I had ALOT of siphoning, but I pushed my luck trying to jam the jars full.
IMG_2680.JPG

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How do you use them? I canned a few pints last year as an experiment. I have no idea what to do with them.

Treat them like winter squash. They taste the same. Just remember to remove any strings of you use them for a pie.

The jewel and garnet sweet potatoes are the ones sold as canned "yams" in the stores.

I candy them in a frying pan instead of making the mashed thing other people do. Grandma, and Mom do them that way. Some butter in the pan and fry on medium, turning occasionally. Add a little bit of brown sugar sprinkled on top and cook until caramelized.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We make candied yams for thanksgiving every year, it is tradition. They are so putzy that we only do them once a year. This is my grandmas recipe.

Slice boiled yams into 3/8" rounds (I did slightly thicker rounds this year because I overcooked them and if I cut them any thinner they fell apart.)
Mix about 1/4 c. flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt and pepper.
Blend 1 egg and 1/4 cup of milk.
Heat a frying pan with butter.
Dip sweet potato round in egg mixture, then into brown sugar mixture and fry in pan.
Turn over when browned. Add more butter to pan as needed.
Serve while still warm.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My whole life, I've made candied yams. Mother always used the cans - drain that juice into a frying pan. Add OK and brown sugar. Simmer a long time. Then carefully add in the canned yams and carefully spoon the sauce over them to heat them up.

I'll be doing the same with these.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom is sick of the cans with mush and tiny pieces so she's started using fresh sweet potatoes. She likes how they turn out. She peels, cubes, and boils. I did tell her that it's easier to remove the skin afterwards and that most people I knew on the east coast cut them in the bigger rounds or chunks before boiling.

I never could much get into the sweet potato casserole. Sweet potato pie is good, though.