WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's my plum jelly, I got 3 pints and 5 half pints and still have enough juice in the freezer for another batch. It turned out great.

IMGP0575-1.jpg

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So pretty! If you all would like to, up under each pic, post the recipe/directions. (Unless its a family secret). I think this will be neat.

I have never heard of banana butter or seen plum jelly. Let's try it.

What do you all think of this idea?

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IMGP0575-1.jpg

I think it's a grand idea. Here go's

Plum Jelly
3 pounds of plums chopped with the Pitts left in. Cover with water and simmer for 1 hr. Strain juice. Measure 5 cups of juice, add one box of Sure Jell and bring to a rolling boil. Add 71/2 cup of sugar and return to a rolling boil, cook 1 minute. Fill hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space, remove air bubble with a non metallic spatula. Put hot lids on and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the simple life said:
Don't the bananas only have to be ripe or do they have to be ready to turn? I am thinking of making some tonight but maybe I will have to wait if they have to be overripe
You don't want your bananas to be overly ripe.On other words not when they are black. No bad spots or bruises. If they are starting to get spots on the outside that is fine. It is just like any other fruit or vegetable.You wouldn't want bad or bruised peaches to make peach butter. If you want to make some to use right away you might use over ripe bananas but I wouldn't want to can it that way.
I have never done it with overly ripe fruit.