WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I just finished freezing corn. I did 12 dozen ears and out of that I got 34 quart freezer bags with 4 cups in each bag. Not too bad! It is alot of work but we love to eat it. This time I did my creamy corn recipe. Next week I will just freeze regular corn to use in hotdishes and soups and that kind of thing.

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made two batches of salsa today to go into the freezer. I've never made it before and was surprised at how yummy and easy it was! No more store-bought salsa in this house :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today it will be tomatoes, salsa, green tomatoes and later this week it will be corn but frozen not canned. Also this week and the next, some applesauce and applebutter. After that will come the deer meat, then the pumpkin pie filling. Can't wait to have the larders stocked!

Am planting garlic this fall, so next year I will have my own for the canning season.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Need to finish up the tomatoes today....sauce, etc. And maybe do the last of the sweet relish. Then later on, the fruit!!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I just canned seasoned tomato sauce. I like to use it as a soup base and in some other stuff. Yum Yum! I can't wait for apples around here. I keep hearing you all talk about apple sauce and apple butter and it is making me hungry for the stuff!!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is the first post in this thread in Sept. 08 WOO! HOO!

Today I canned so many apples and praise the Lord I still have 2 more bussels to go. Right now at midnight I have corn in the canner. I had 18 pounds of off the cob corn that is going into jars. 5 pounds of it will be made into sucotash. Yummy! (corn, tomatoes, okra $ lima or butter beans. Yummy! mouth watered just thinking of it. LOL

Will be canning more apples tomorrow and maybe some pears by next Wednesday. I'll try to get a pick of my pantry an all that I canned. Oh! bout forgot. Had 7 quarts of green beans canned to. Waiting on more beans.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Nothing, blessed nothing! It's raining, and I am not picking, canning or otherwise processing a single thing! :weee

On the other hand, I got a steal of a deal yesterday with 3 bushels of peaches for $22 each and 2 bushels of pears for $25 each, so once those babies ripen I will be right back to work :barnie

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was given a bushel of apples so if we still have power after Hanna hits us Sat. I'll be making apple sauce and putting up pie filling. Does anyone have a good recipe for apple pie filling, and how do YOU put it up. Do you can it or freeze it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Canned Apple Pie Filling
4 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 t cinnamon
t nutmeg
2 t salt
10 cups water
3 T lemon juice
6 pounds apples

In large pan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and water, mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Peel, core and slice apples. Pack into hot canning jars, leaving headspace. Fill with hot syrup. Process in hot water bath for 20 min.

Latest posts