WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've watched my mom cook with that pressure cooker tons of times, so I knew it wasn't (THAT) dangerous :D I still lurked in the kitchen the whole time. I added no salt, nothing, just yummy meat flavored juice. I gave DH a slice of it when I strained it. "This is good. What'd you put in it?" And all 5 jars sealed perfectly!

OH Peaches! Got a friend who has a peach tree in their yard that "never gets ripe". I cut one up while I was there. That was the best darn peach I've ever tasted! Yes, it was a little green, but even the "green" part was really ripe. So I got a large paper bag full, right at 10 pounds and thats just what I could reach from the ground. Free! Free is good ;)

That habenero gold sounds great. I think I saw that in Bell's. Is it sweet as well as hot, sufficientforme?

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi! New to the forums and just getting my feet wet. Lately for me it has been apricots and cherries. I have made Apricot preserves and canned apricots (they are everywhere around here... we always keep our eyes peeled for neglected trees in our neighborhood that aren't being harvested). I have also frozen and dried quite a few, ditto with the cherries. It's so satisfying!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I've watched my mom cook with that pressure cooker tons of times, so I knew it wasn't (THAT) dangerous :D I still lurked in the kitchen the whole time. I added no salt, nothing, just yummy meat flavored juice. I gave DH a slice of it when I strained it. "This is good. What'd you put in it?" And all 5 jars sealed perfectly!

OH Peaches! Got a friend who has a peach tree in their yard that "never gets ripe". I cut one up while I was there. That was the best darn peach I've ever tasted! Yes, it was a little green, but even the "green" part was really ripe. So I got a large paper bag full, right at 10 pounds and thats just what I could reach from the ground. Free! Free is good ;)

That habenero gold sounds great. I think I saw that in Bell's. Is it sweet as well as hot, sufficientforme?
YES, it is. First thing that I tasted was the sweet of the apricot, then came the HOT, and then the hint of onion! It is really good, I will be making again for sure as soon as I have more peppers.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
unaspenser said:
Hi! New to the forums and just getting my feet wet. Lately for me it has been apricots and cherries. I have made Apricot preserves and canned apricots (they are everywhere around here... we always keep our eyes peeled for neglected trees in our neighborhood that aren't being harvested). I have also frozen and dried quite a few, ditto with the cherries. It's so satisfying!
:welcome

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I canned 12 1/2 pints of zucchini relish today.

Peeled and cored 2 gallons of tomatoes yesterday.

My kitchen looks like a produce stand. :lol:

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Hello ! My name is Kris, I am in central California, I found this site two hours ago and have been reading posts ever since. I can't believe there is such a place for folks like me !

I am 58 years old, and did some canning back in the 70's when I thought I was an Earth Mother. Just started again about two weeks ago, and I have been bitten BAD !

I started out with some catsup, which is what I made 30 years ago. Then I went to peach chutney, then to peach butter and peach preserves. (Sensing a trend?)

Sugar free peach jam and S/F plum both for my dad, the diabetic.

Regular plum jam and spiced plum jam. Nectarine jam (making more tomorrow, it is awesome!

Onion jalapeno jam, red pepper jam, merlot jelly, lime mint jelly, lemon rosemary jelly.

24 pints of squash pickles, to which I am officially addicted even without the wait.

Banana catsup, ancho chile catsup and BBQ sauce.

Too much? Did I mention I live alone? LOL

My giant new pressure canner arrives this week and I jumped the gun like crazy and bought too much produce, thinking that the canner would get here today. So, I will be freezing !

I am looking forward very much to canning soups, stews and chili. And now that i have found the mushroom soup recipe, i will give that a shot as well.

It is after one in the morning, and I am losing steam, but I wanted to ask a question. Hope this is not too far off topic. Anyway, is there a safe way to thicken stews? Just reduction? I want to can chicken stew and beef stew, but I don't want it runny. Do you thicken when you serve?

I am going to look around the whole site tomorrow when I have had some sleep. I have been working on cooking meals on a Rocket Stove, with a solar cooker or a cardboard box oven, and do a lot of other stuff that makes my daughter and family think I am nuts ! I want to browse around and find appropriate places.

I think I am typing in my sleep now. Thanks for letting me spout off.

Kris

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Hello ! My name is Kris, I am in central California, I found this site two hours ago and have been reading posts ever since. I can't believe there is such a place for folks like me !

I am 58 years old, and did some canning back in the 70's when I thought I was an Earth Mother. Just started again about two weeks ago, and I have been bitten BAD !

I started out with some catsup, which is what I made 30 years ago. Then I went to peach chutney, then to peach butter and peach preserves. (Sensing a trend?)

Sugar free peach jam and S/F plum both for my dad, the diabetic.

Regular plum jam and spiced plum jam. Nectarine jam (making more tomorrow, it is awesome!

Onion jalapeno jam, red pepper jam, merlot jelly, lime mint jelly, lemon rosemary jelly.

24 pints of squash pickles, to which I am officially addicted even without the wait.

Banana catsup, ancho chile catsup and BBQ sauce.

Too much? Did I mention I live alone? LOL

My giant new pressure canner arrives this week and I jumped the gun like crazy and bought too much produce, thinking that the canner would get here today. So, I will be freezing !

I am looking forward very much to canning soups, stews and chili. And now that i have found the mushroom soup recipe, i will give that a shot as well.

It is after one in the morning, and I am losing steam, but I wanted to ask a question. Hope this is not too far off topic. Anyway, is there a safe way to thicken stews? Just reduction? I want to can chicken stew and beef stew, but I don't want it runny. Do you thicken when you serve?

I am going to look around the whole site tomorrow when I have had some sleep. I have been working on cooking meals on a Rocket Stove, with a solar cooker or a cardboard box oven, and do a lot of other stuff that makes my daughter and family think I am nuts ! I want to browse around and find appropriate places.

I think I am typing in my sleep now. Thanks for letting me spout off.

Kris
Yummy Kris!!!

Welcome to SS!!! Glad to have you share with us!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:

Kris
:welcome We all look forward to your input!

I make the cream of mushroom soup, thickened with flour. It does separate a bit, but I just shake the jar vigorously before opening and that seems to do the trick. So you can probably use flour to thicken your stews, and risk some separation. I don't thicken my stews, but I never thought about it until you just asked. If it works for the cream soups, why not beef stew? Worth a shot! I do make my soups and stews packed with veggies and meat, not much broth, so they feel thick to me! And you can thicken so easily when you are heating it up after opening the jar, with some water and cornstarch, so you don't have to risk loss of quality. Just some thoughts!