WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Mushrooms were on sale today so I got three pounds and will slice and dehydrate them tomorrow. Also will dehydrate some frozen veggies for my "the sky is falling" pantry.
I like the name of your pantry. May I borrow it?
We have a large rubbermaid container on wheels, that contains our minimum three day emergency supplies. But then we always plan for more and worse than that. 'coz we all know how quick the government is to respond...after all they have to do all that paper work first.
I planned on canning peaches today. but that didn't happen. I got a few jars in the fridge ready to go in the canner, but I wanted to do all the peaches at once. So I'll get to try to do them again tomorrow.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Of course ! I made it up when i wrote it, so there has been no official copyright LOL.

I am STILL waiting for my pressure canner to arrive. I am getting a bit of a headstart on prepping for it, though. The chili is cooked and chilled and I will bring it up to heat when I can it. I have cubed and crock potted two chuck roasts for the stew. And here I have a question. Can I tomorrow fill the jars, cover them with a towel, put them in the fridge and then when the canner comes in Friday, bring them to room temperature and raw can? I am putting the meat in first, then the veggies, and then filling with broth. I haven't prepped any veggies, and have the meat crock potting now. (I have had stomach surgery and food has to be very soft for me to be able to eat it...thus the crock pot.)

I am also making onion jalapeno jam right now, it's cooking down at this moment. I love that stuff.

Tomorrow I am going to a Freecycler's house and strip her tree of plums. She gave me a bag a week or two ago, but she has so many and nothing to do with them, so that's a huge blessing. I don't know how many I will end up with, but I am taking several bags just in case. They are Damsens, which are yummy to me!

After I try the chili in the pressure canner, and then the stew, I think I will be ready for the chickens on Sunday.

Oh, question...can you can chile verde, the green chili sauce with pork? Wasn't sure about pork.

Thanks for your EXTREME patience with me !

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Tomorrow I am going to a Freecycler's house and strip her tree of plums.
See you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! I Freecycle quite a bit - usually on the getting rid of side. I never even thought to advertise a Wanted for un-used FRUIT! :celebrate

Genius! Thanks a lot! :clap

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I hope I don't offend anyone, but I just wanted to say how the Lord has blessed me the past two weeks. So many challenges, and he has brought me solutions so subtly that until the issues were solved I didn't even realize what was going on. I am in awe of Him.

Anyway, sorry about that for those who don't believe. But I am just on cloud nine as His love pours out.

Speaking of pouring, my pressure canner came today. I had already prepared and refrigerated 10 qts of chili, so those were brought to room temperature and processed for 90 minutes. Then I filled 14 quarts with beef stew. I had cooked the seasoned meat in the crock pot, so I dumped it in and then added raw chopped onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery and potato in layers Filled it with hot beef stock and it is in the canner as we speak.

So far, so good. I was expecting a little leakage and there was some chili color to the water, but in the past 30 minutes five have sealed and there is no reason to believe the other two wont' either.

Tomorrow I will thaw 10 chickens and cook them in my commercial stock pot and see how it goes.

I'll show my son-in-law to laugh at me ! LOL

Okay, gotta give honor to God once again. He has provided someone to till my back 40 in exchange for a dinner for eight to go...I used to be a caterer. In the process, I am in touch with a Christian volunteer agency in town that I never knew existed.

I have been connected with a program which weatherizes the homes of low income people, and one which does home repairs for seniors, which I am ! I pay for materials and they do the labor.

I found another program with the gas and electric companies that gives me a discount on my bills. As well, I qualify for an outside program which will give me credit of $200 toward my electric and gas for the rest of this year.

Went to a FREE movie with my granddaughter today. "Inkheart", Pretty good !!!

I have four people who are coming tomorrow and Saturday to dig up some Naked Ladies and take them home. I am planting a garden in their place, but because I have a teensy disability I can't dig deep like that.

And finally, I was given 40 pounds of plums this morning. The Father is just overflowing the blessings !!!

Kris

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I hope I don't offend anyone, but I just wanted to say how the Lord has blessed me the past two weeks. So many challenges, and he has brought me solutions so subtly that until the issues were solved I didn't even realize what was going on. I am in awe of Him.

Anyway, sorry about that for those who don't believe. But I am just on cloud nine as His love pours out.

Speaking of pouring, my pressure canner came today. I had already prepared and refrigerated 10 qts of chili, so those were brought to room temperature and processed for 90 minutes. Then I filled 14 quarts with beef stew. I had cooked the seasoned meat in the crock pot, so I dumped it in and then added raw chopped onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery and potato in layers Filled it with hot beef stock and it is in the canner as we speak.

So far, so good. I was expecting a little leakage and there was some chili color to the water, but in the past 30 minutes five have sealed and there is no reason to believe the other two wont' either.

Tomorrow I will thaw 10 chickens and cook them in my commercial stock pot and see how it goes.

I'll show my son-in-law to laugh at me ! LOL

Okay, gotta give honor to God once again. He has provided someone to till my back 40 in exchange for a dinner for eight to go...I used to be a caterer. In the process, I am in touch with a Christian volunteer agency in town that I never knew existed.

I have been connected with a program which weatherizes the homes of low income people, and one which does home repairs for seniors, which I am ! I pay for materials and they do the labor.

I found another program with the gas and electric companies that gives me a discount on my bills. As well, I qualify for an outside program which will give me credit of $200 toward my electric and gas for the rest of this year.

Went to a FREE movie with my granddaughter today. "Inkheart", Pretty good !!!

I have four people who are coming tomorrow and Saturday to dig up some Naked Ladies and take them home. I am planting a garden in their place, but because I have a teensy disability I can't dig deep like that.

And finally, I was given 40 pounds of plums this morning. The Father is just overflowing the blessings !!!

Kris
It sounds like your prep work made the canning process a breeze! I'm sure you are happy it finally showed up! :D I love when you turn around wondering how something is gonna happen and God gives the answer. It certainly sounds like blessings are flowing your way, Ldychef2k!