WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I canned some chicken spread yesterday. Basically I made a gigantic batch of chicken soup, with lots of veggies, then took all the chicken off the bones and put it and the veggies in a food processor, chopped until they were kind of like hamburger. Canned it. Now I have a great, nutritious spread to mix with mayonnaise and put in sandwiches. And my kids won't even realize there are veggies in it! :)
And then I canned the stock.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Finally was brave enough to can chicken. 6 quarts in the canner as I type. Will do broth tomorrow.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Question for anyone who pressure cans:

I have 7 jars of warm apple sauce waiting for their turn in the pressure cooker. Two of them sealed right there on the countertop.

Shall I put them in as is, or shall I replace the now sealed lids with new ones? Thanks.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Canned potatoes yesterday. Some of them only have 1/2 of the liquid left. Any thoughts? Maybe not enough headspace? I want to do more.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Question for anyone who pressure cans:

I have 7 jars of warm apple sauce waiting for their turn in the pressure cooker. Two of them sealed right there on the countertop.

Shall I put them in as is, or shall I replace the now sealed lids with new ones? Thanks.
I would put them in as is. Why are you pressuring apple sauce? :hu I always water bath can mine.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
LOL free!! :gig Whatcha got lions????

I'm canning pears. 7 pints to be exact, for today. About 14 more to go.

Hey pressure canners: What is the big deal on getting all the fat out of meats and broths? I canned some chicken broth last week, and I thought I got almost all the fat out of the broth. After canning I noticed a small layer...is that ok?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It's fine. As the jars vent in the canner, the fat often goes out and is lost. You know how I feel about good fat! So I don't go overboard with de-fatting, but I don't use fatty cuts, either. I put a little dish of butter out for my cats to make up for this.

ETA: And oh, yes, my cats are ginormous! One seems to be on his way out, maybe....sixteen years old or so and went into kidney failure 4-5 years ago. Has been doing great up until a few days ago. He is barely eating and often sleeps next to a water dish, which we now have placed at each heat vent with a cushion for him. :( He perked up yesterday (squirting supplements down his throat) but barely ate again today. Maybe I only need 185 jars....sniffle...

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
potatoes and onions today , tomorrow and likely the next day too lol

I make it a point to leave fats in with my meats. That stock would make a horrible gravy without it ;)

Freemotion, Best of luck with your kitty! I have a 19 year old that has had some really close calls. Maybe your furrbaby still has a few good years left too !