WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! He's come back from death's door a few times now...maybe he is just being melodramatic.... He is certainly getting plenty of attention now!

houdi

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Today we did 4 different things

We did some more Asian Pear jam, and it is setting up nicely.

Then we finished processing the pumpkin and canned that, so now we have GREAT pumpkin just waiting to make pies!

Then something TOTALLY cool. I made Mountain Dew Jelly! My DH got a recipe from someone on here, and it turned out BEAUTIFULLY!!! It is already totally set up!

The last thing I TOTALLY screwed up. I processed some of the pumpkin butter. It had been left out for too long, so I realized that I would process it for longer. I left it in for 45 minutes. and that was a BIG mistake! One of the jars blew its lid and the rest went totally solid. So thank goodness that we got more pumpkins today!

So, 3/4 canning adventures were a success, so that is good!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Last weekend.

7 qts of sweet potatoes
8 1/4 pints of pickled jalepenos
8 pints no sugar added blackberry jam

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I canned 14 qts of chicken stock last night! :D And put 3 big yogurt containers full in the freezer.

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Finally got my new pressure canner yesterday. Been saving for it for ages. So excited!

First project with it. today I'm going to cook and can some homemade chicken soup. That way, I will no longer be the only member of the family that doesn't get homemade chicken soup when I catch a cold.

After that, I'm thinking bbq sauce, chili, beef stew and applesauce & apple butter. I've got about 20 pounds of apples sitting here that need to be used soon.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I canned some homemade pumpkin soup! made a huge pot and fed my family of 5 and then still had enough left for 11 quarts...

I have 7 big pumpkins sitting here in my living room just waiting to be canned... :D

may make a batch of pumpkin butter out of one... :drool

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I canned 4 quarts of spaghetti sauce with meat.
I did not enjoy standing in the kitchen for 90 minutes watching that pressure gage. I was afraid if I left for so much as a peek at the computer that I would get side tracked and the pressure would go way up, ....or down :rolleyes:
So I read a book.

I know I will appreciate the sauce this coming winter though.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a canning newbie, and just have a steam canner (works like water bath, but much less water). Those of you processing under pressure the apple butter and applesauce, why? Apple butter was the first thing I canned in my steam canner, and it only had to process for 10 minutes - official Ball recipe.

And how do I make the pumpkin butter?

Thanks!