WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i did 20 pints of various versions of turkey soup the other day. took me way longer to do than i'd anticipated, hah.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I canned Red Pepper Jelly last night. Low carb and nom :D Recipe is on the kitchen section.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 pt tomato sauce and 14 pt + 5 qt of cider last night. There was a lot of sediment in the bottom...maybe I didn't let it settle enough? My DIY apple grinder and car-jack press were successful. Should be getting another 4-6 bushels of apples tonight. I'm going to ferment some of it though, because I'm running out of jars.

yardfarmer

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
DW an I did (12) half gallon jars of pickled tomatoes this weekend. Wanted to juice them, but there weren't enough tomatoes for a decent batch of juice.

There about 6-8 tomatoes per jar with sliced pepper, garlic, black currant leaves, dill, and pepper corns. This should last a year; for me it's an aquired taste that I haven't quit gotten into, but DW loves these things.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Small batch of spaghetti sauce...again. Now trying to motivate myself to get back in the kitchen and deal with potatoes...again.

Have I welcomed you yet, yardfarmer? :frow

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
FarmerJamie said:
Caramel Apple Jam is cooling....Dad laid down the "family rules" on consumption....and I am hiding a jar..... :p
Recipe????
It's on the forum somewhere I had printed it off - I searched and found one Dace posted, but that's not the one I used.........

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is what I use but it's called Apple Pie Jam, I believe it's the same thing other than it doesn't use caramels (some recipes include but they have corn syrup etc in them) which we can't have at our house. I get lots of requests for this one!
Ingredients:

4 cups apples, chopped (tart apples)
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
4 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 (1 3/4 ounce) box dry pectin
1 teaspoon butter

Directions:

Measure apples in a measuring cup, now add in the same measuring cup water to fill up to the 4 cup line (with the apples in it).
Add pectin and the butter and spices, lemon juice.
Bring to a boil.
Add sugars and bring back to a full rolling boil, boil 1 minute.
Stir constantly.
Remove from the heat.
Skim off any foam.
Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
Put on lids.
Process in water bath 10 minutes.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/best-apple-pie-jam-100315#ixzz1XDHJQ67C

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm trying watermelon jelly today. hopefully it'll be good. Also prepping for autumn cranberry pear jam, and carrot cake jam with the glut of pears I was given from DH's grandparents! Luckily they are ripening a bit at a time, just enough so I can do a batch or two of jam every few days, rather than all at once in a panicked rush!

I'm looking for a spaghetti sauce recipe that I can make with my water bath canner! PLEASE??? :D

Latest posts