WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
7 quarts of pickled crabapples and 7 pints of pickled crabapples.

I still have crabapples to take care of. Seriously, I have like 3 empty canning jars IN THE HOUSE. Have to stop and buy :hit jars after I drop my sister at the airport today.

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
9 4oz sugar free raspberry jam, 7 4oz sugar free blue berry jam, 10 quarts apples & juice for baking, 8 pints apple in hot cinnamon sauce, 14 jelly jars of applesauce, 9 jelly jars of triple berry jam and 21 jelly jars of raspberry jam. My feet hurt, waht a long day.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
7 quarts of pickled crabapples and 7 pints of pickled crabapples.

I still have crabapples to take care of. Seriously, I have like 3 empty canning jars IN THE HOUSE. Have to stop and buy :hit jars after I drop my sister at the airport today.
My mom's neighbor has some crabapples that I could take, but I wasn't sure what they can be used for. Are pickled crabapples good?

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
calendula said:
My mom's neighbor has some crabapples that I could take, but I wasn't sure what they can be used for. Are pickled crabapples good?
I grew up with pickled crabapples. I think they are really good. I'm sure for others, it would take getting used to. That also goes with pickled peaches, some people only can their peaches in a simple syrup, and we fought over the pickled peaches when I was a kid, and now my kids fight over them.

This is my first time canning them myself, so I'm hoping they turn out like Mom's but I won't be able to taste them for a couple of weeks. I used the recipe in the Ball Canning Book, but changed it a little.

I know you can also make jelly from the crabapples. That's going to be the next step with the rest of mine, when I can find my stove and counter again. (Official member of the MeSSY Kitchen Club!)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need to do some serious canning today. Sausage sauce, stew meat, ragu. Maybe a canner load of potatoes. I tried the canned french fries yesterday - yep, DH loved them. So that'll work. I also have tiny potatoes to can. We'll see what I end up doing.

How many folks here have 2 canners? I just got an extra so I can use it for a load while the other canner cools down.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have 3 water bath pots but only 1 pressure canner. I would love to add another to my collection but it's not very high on the priority list.

g

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This weekend Mom and did up over 20 pints of relish. Lots of vegetable grinding. :th Tired and the house smells like vinegar.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay - I have a canner load full of meat going. Ragu bolognese, stew meat, and sausage sauce. I've got another canner load of potatoes and green beans in the new canner, waiting to go while the other canner cools down. Yeah I know the green beans will get "over processed". That's okay - DH loves mushy veggies, and I only had enough green beans for 2 pints. I decided to start filling in extra space in my canner loads in the future with jars of water.