WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I canned 5 qts of brisket that I cooked last night, plus two more quarts of steak chunks. Felt awfully weird to put that steak into jars instead on the grill, but it's all part of my plan to practice canning meat of different types.

I'm happy to say that the Velveeta cheese turned out just fine. I'm not a big Velveeta eater, it's more DH who enjoys it. We crumbled a little bit on a bowl of chili for lunch and spread some on crackers. I didn't notice that it was much different than the uncanned/regular right off the shelf version. But, again, I'm not a huge Velveeta fan to begin with. DH however gave it two thumbs up. :thumbsup <<< Where's the other thumb? If I do it again, I might try reducing the time by a few minutes. It turned a tiny little bit dark, and I'd like to see if I can keep that from happening next time.

I've cooked some ground beef this afternoon with some onion/garlic/bayleaf to can tomorrow. I'm thinking about adding some veggies to it and calling it soup. Also been rearranging the panty area - gotta make more room!

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Busy girl! I did meat for the first time this year as well. I plan to take more advantage of sales. Glad to hear the cheese turned out well. I know what ya mean on trying to find space! Nearly everything I've done this year is sitting in cases in the living room, LOL. Wish to heck we had a basement or root cellar.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Me and Mom worked up chickens today and just now finishing, we are beat.
3 Pints of Breast Meat
1 Quart of Dark Meat
16 Pints of Chicken Broth

We should have been done two hours ago but the wind was bad and it affected the gas range, and it took the canner 2 hours to build up ten pounds pressure :rolleyes:

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ugh! That's the worst of pressure canning :( I only use mine if I have to...the water bath is so much quicker! We're about to invest in a 2 burner gas stove for outdoors so we can do the processing either on the deck or in the garage. Boy, it sure makes a difference to keep all that heat and humidity out rather than in!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
Ugh! That's the worst of pressure canning :( I only use mine if I have to...the water bath is so much quicker! We're about to invest in a 2 burner gas stove for outdoors so we can do the processing either on the deck or in the garage. Boy, it sure makes a difference to keep all that heat and humidity out rather than in!
I actually prefer it to the water bath...I only use it if absolutely necesssary. I like the steam canner the best

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto on the steam canner. I'm canning up more tomato soup we eat gallons of it and I give it to my kids.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
Busy girl! I did meat for the first time this year as well. I plan to take more advantage of sales. Glad to hear the cheese turned out well. I know what ya mean on trying to find space! Nearly everything I've done this year is sitting in cases in the living room, LOL. Wish to heck we had a basement or root cellar.
Hahaha!!! Nice to see I'm not the only one with several cases of canned goods still in my dining room! I won't go in the icky basement unless I really have to(Michigan basement full of 8 legged critters)and the shelving in the upstairs pantry room(aka spare bedroom) got cleared as I used them up and for some odd reason "someone" filled them up with other stuff. :hu .(no one is taking responsibility for it must the house hold ghosty) so we have to clear and reorganize before taking them all upstairs. plus we have to get the area under the bed ready for squash storage again.. (I'm sure I saw some of the dreaded 8 leggers under there too:ep)

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Took the day off from canning to go to work!