WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
Finished canning chicken at midnight. I got 14 pints, 6 quarts of stock and cooked one package for dinner plus leftovers the rest of the week. I had never thought to can chicken until I read all of the posts and started thinking why not? It was so easy and now I won't need to buy the expensive stuff in the metal can. Thanks for all of the great info it really inspired me. :weee
:woot

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I still have a BUNCH to can, but I do have a dozen pints of peppers in red sauce and seven pints of green beans. I have another bushel and a half of banana peppers to can, about a half of a bushel of beets, and some more green beans that are in the freezer now (and may just sit there). I've eaten a pint of the peppers in one week, so I knew what I had wouldn't be enough to last until next year, lol.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Minted pears, spiced pears and cranberry mustard. You folks are not helping....I haven`t done my yardwork for awhile.:p

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
More peppers in red sauce. I still have probably two more canner loads, then jalapeno peppers, then some beets. Oh, plus a few jars of pork stock and maybe some cubed lamb. Obviously it won't all be finished tonight, lol.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
do you freeze items to can when you don't have enough to make a canner full? to can chicken (boneless) boil first and use liquid to fill jars? have canned rice dressing mix came out wonderful, used dry roux for the first time..(as you can see am from Louisiana).will do many more pints...canned hamburger meat....ready to do chicken but it takes quite a lot don't you think...please send me your How-to's ...thanks Have just learned to use a canner, now am ready to can it ALL...Ha.

Mickey328, did you boil your chicken first?

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nope, sure didn't. I cooked the burger but all the other meat went in raw. I figured that since it was going to be in a pressure cooker for over an hour at about 14 lbs, that would cook it fine...and it did! I didn't de-bone the chicken because I was in a bit of a hurry, but in future I will. The raw meat cooks down and sort of makes its own juice. If you don't have enough chicken to do a full batch, I'd prep it and freeze it raw. Then when you're ready to can, thaw it quickly, pack it in the jars and process. At some point, I think I'll do some shredded chicken for sandwiches and salad..in that case, I'll cook it first and put some chicken stock in the jars before processing.