WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
5 pints of Obsidian blackberry jam and 3.5 pints of blueberry jam. Much of this is going to Mom. She just can't do much right now because her back is still healing from surgery.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
23 pints of strawberry fig preserves! A friend from church gave me a wash pan full of figs today. I started cooking them in batch one and two, when I realized I only had enough strawberry jello for two batches. Another friend from church came over for some heritage seeds I told him I would share with him. When he walked in I asked if he liked strawberry fig preserves and he said sure! Ever made them? No. Well, go to the grocery store and get 6 boxes of strawberry jello and 2 bags of sugar. He is a young man about the age of my son, who likes to garden and cook. he is learning to make salsa and pickles. So learning to make preserves was right up his alley!

We assembly lined the process and made preserves for 3 hours. We made 4 batches and set aside 4 jars for the friend who shared the figs. That left 18 jars plus one that didn't seal. We each took 9 and I gave the unsealed jar to DH's boss to go in the refrigerator. Plus we had a lot of fun!

After we cleaned up the mess, I got out my seed tub and put several kinds in envelopes for him. We both had a great time, he learned something new and got more seeds to plant. It was a great afternoon!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
26 Pints of green beans and then I need to get to work on the strawberries.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone else can things and then have doubt when it comes time to eat it? I am fine with the peppers and other pickled things it is the pressure canner stuff I am a nerd about.

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
Does anyone else can things and then have doubt when it comes time to eat it? I am fine with the peppers and other pickled things it is the pressure canner stuff I am a nerd about.
Every single time! I look at it 'as my paranoia keeps me neurotic about safe canning practices.' But when in doubt throw it out!

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
Every single time! I look at it 'as my paranoia keeps me neurotic about safe canning practices.' But when in doubt throw it out!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The more you pressure can the easier it will be to trust your work. Remember to follow the instructions for your altitude and you will be just fine. And as you said "When in doubt".... I used to worry about canning meats but I follow all instructions to the letter. I trust my home canned food it's the commercially canned stuff I'm paranoid about.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto the comments above--experience makes you more comfy. Butit totally pays to be a bit neurotic about safety, it ensures that you always follow the rules :)

Today for me it was 16 quarts/litres of tomato sauce (that cooked down overnight into a gloriously thick sauce I can't wait to pull out for winter pasta dishes!)