What are you fermenting today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just added some whey and left it at room temp for.....well, the plan was for two days! We ate it! I would do three if it wasn't so hot here right now. I have been getting some mold if I go three days when the temps are above 80. Room temp is 72, so adjust for hotter temps. I am a bit more generous with the salt when it is hot, too, to protect against bad beasties. It has worked out great.

It may be heresy, but I just used parsley instead of cilantro. I don't know the difference, and parsley is taking over here this year, so it will be parsley until next year when I will plant a lot of cilantro. What I don't know I won't miss, and free is a powerful concept!

You could leave the lime out if you wanted to, if limes are pricey.

Do you make your pitas from scratch? If so, how about posting a recipe (in a new thread for easy locating later, please!)?

I will be trying corn tortillas eventually, from whole corn ground up in the vitamix and fried in lard. I hope to have lard again this fall when butchering season starts up again.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That cuke salsa sounds yummy...did you eat it with chips or pita or??
I use thin sliced jicama as my "chip". It is better if you have some kind of good fat with it too. Cream cheese dip or sour cream or something like that.

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If anyone else has access to these...
We mixed one part black currant wine to four parts saskatoon wine, and got something kind of like a merlot, which is great--can't grow grapes here. I'm vinting that mix in that proportion on purpose. Hope it works!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Puck-Puck said:
If anyone else has access to these...
We mixed one part black currant wine to four parts saskatoon wine, and got something kind of like a merlot, which is great--can't grow grapes here. I'm vinting that mix in that proportion on purpose. Hope it works!
I wish! That sounds delicious!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have a big batch of cucumber salsa going now, dh brought the last batch down to a pint before it ever saw the inside of a fridge! He loves it! And he, too, doesn't like commercial salsa! Wish I had tomatoes this year....

I put whey and salt into all the cuke peels and seeds and ends to make some fermented salsa for Mya, my goatie, who is supplying me with all the wonderful kefir whey. She can use some help with her fermenting vat, her rumen, now and then. Imagine that. I am making salsa for my goat! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hee hee hee.

Well, I make salads for my ducks. Sounds reasonable to me :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My company and I loved the cuke salsa! It was great.....I also made freshly baked pita and hummus to go with it. Delish!! My DD enjoyed it because as I said earlier, she is not a tomato fan :)

So I am confused about the salt & whey....Free you said you added a little extra salt to keep the bad beasties at bay but doesn't the salt have a negative impact on the good beasties as well?

Last Q...I already let the rest of the cuke salsa sit in the fridge, but today I am going to drain some yogurt, can I pull it out of the fridge and add some whey, or should I just start a new batch?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Dace said:
My company and I loved the cuke salsa! It was great.....I also made freshly baked pita and hummus to go with it. Delish!! My DD enjoyed it because as I said earlier, she is not a tomato fan :)

So I am confused about the salt & whey....Free you said you added a little extra salt to keep the bad beasties at bay but doesn't the salt have a negative impact on the good beasties as well?

Last Q...I already let the rest of the cuke salsa sit in the fridge, but today I am going to drain some yogurt, can I pull it out of the fridge and add some whey, or should I just start a new batch?
Salt doesn't seem to negatively impact the lacto-bacteria.

Did you ferment that batch of cuke salsa? Will you be eating it up quickly? If so, just eat it up. If you want to keep it longer, throw some whey in it and ferment at room temp for a couple day. When did you cut up the cukes? If it was before yesterday, I'd just eat it up. If it was within maybe 24 hours, set it out to ferment for two days. I cut up cukes last night and got too tired to finish the salsa, so I took 'em out and finished them this morning. They start to break down as soon as you cut them, so I wouldn't bother fermenting if they were cut a while ago.

In this house, I just have to announce "open season" on an item and it is gone in a flash! :rolleyes: :lol:

Latest posts