What are you fermenting today?

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have question, what does everybody use to do their fermenting in? I don't have the $ for one of those fancy fermenting crocks and am having trouble finding any gallon size glass jars...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Small batches go in quart canning jars, larger batches go into two quart canning jars. You can buy gallon "canning" jars....jars made by the canning jar companies and sold in that section of the well-stocked farm store that sells canning supplies. Walmart also sells gallon jars as canisters for storing food, I have a few. Some people have found crockpot crocks (without the electric part) at places like Good Will for just a few dollars.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
My saurkraut doesn't appear to be doing any kind of fermenting...now, it's cold here, but not that cold, and it's already been a week or so, so...

Is it possible I added too much salt to the lot? Could that have killed it completely?
Is it sour at all?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I started my first batch of ketchup. Smells super yummy! Can't wait to taste it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
I started my first batch of ketchup. Smells super yummy! Can't wait to taste it!
Which recipe did you use? Let us know how it come out. I gotta make some and haven't been too happy with results so far.....I must admit that commercial ketchup and bbq sauce is yummy with the HFCS so I really have to buckle down and work on this. I have been ketchup-free for a few years now and I miss it. Still use a bit of bbq sauce on occasion (small amounts, maybe a bottle a year) but need to get on that project, too.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
It was one I found on-line somewhere... I'll get it tonight when I get home.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Ah, here it is: Fermented ketchup from Nourished Kitchen. I haven't tasted it yet other than before I put it in the jar to ferment but it tasted like ketchup to me. Tomorrow morning will be the third day. I used the honey in it. It looks quite a bit different from the Nourishing Traditions recipe.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm, no garlic or onions? Hmmmm.....gotta start experimenting. Let me know how you like it.