What are you making or fixing this spring?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honey do today. You know when the wife says "oh honey". We've had this old milk can with it lid which is rusted closed for long time. She's painted it several times over the years. But she wanted to turn it into a end table.

She says I want a round wood top that I can paint so nothing good. I said how big around? She said 3" inches bigger than the lid. I'm like hu? Let.me go get my tape measure. So she decided on 16" diameter. 5 mins later I come out of the shop with a 16" diameter 3/4" thick plywood circle. She's all excited, then she looked at it and said it has a sharp edge, can you 'soften it up" I'm like hu? again, you mean round over the edge. She said yes that it's. So another 5 mins I come back out of the shop with a 16" diameter 3/4" thick plywood circle with a routed 1/4/" round over and she loves it.

But then I ask so how you gonna attach this piece of wood to that steel can? Hummm screws? I said Nah... How about some glue? Ok yeah then you won't have to drill holes in it. So I went back in the shop and grabbed a tube of PL300 and a caulk gun. I ran a thick bead around the lid centered and pushed the wood top into place and she loved it. But i'm still not seeing what she is seeing... Ok a old rusty milk can with a 16" diameter cicle of wood glue to it's lid.

I went to go work in the garden and when I come back up to the house, this is what I saw. Pretty cool i must say... She had the vision that I sure didn't... I'm no fashion bug that's for sure. Amazing what textured spray
paint did after my wife sprayed it to on.
IMG_20180709_243144068.jpg

IMG_20180709_243129020.jpg

Last edited:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just finishing our new chicken coop/garden shed: adding perches, shoring up the hardware cloth, starting DL...
I put the first hens in last night. I'll probably put them all in tonight.
tmp_17862-IMG_20180428_190942-1199303093.jpg

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, Bee - those are cedar shingles on the little barn too. And I know you've always got fine & useful projects going. (Thanks for the complement about our place.)

This is the first serious use I've given to my reclaimed pressure tank, one of my 2017 projects...

View attachment 4986

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cedar Shakes.- Awesome! Did you split them of log cookies by yourself also?
No, shingles. There used to be a small commercial sawmill operation about a 40-minute drive from my place — and they split shakes using a machine that was a sort of variation on a power hammer.

But while they were in business, I leaned toward saving money and split my own shakes using a fro & mallet. What you're calling "log cookies" we call "shake blocks" over here.

But then at a certain point I tried re-roofing a small building with commercially made sawn shingles, and I like the result better, due to the smoothness & more uniform taper of the shingles.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol, @NH Homesteader, I read tractor, and kept thinking what is a meat bird tractor and how do you convert a TRACTOR to a raised bed. :lol::lol:
Good thing I'm the only one home tonight. I'm too slow for good conversation after working outside today. :gigFluids, fluids, I think I need some... :)