What are you thankful for today?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My friend grew up on a dairy farm and his mom would train the cows to respect her when they were just little stinkers. She would grab them by their lower jaw and tip them over. When they are little, spindly legged things, it is really easy to do. They learned quick that when she grabbed their jaw, they would freeze in place. He says it was really funny to see a full grown Holstein go from butthead to statue in less than 1 second. She would hold them like that for about a minute and put her face down and tell them to behave! - maybe less than a minute, but it was enough to strike fear through their brain. When she let them loose, they would turn and calmly walk to their stall... She was a small but mighty woman.

I was watching some videos wherein folks were grabbing sheep like that, inserting their thumb in the corner of the mouth in the gap where there are no teeth. With my clumsy luck, I'd get my thumb bit off. :rolleyes:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am thankful for my BIL and Sis who have driven 5+ hours to stay with my Dad and Step Mom this weekend, to give me respite from their all consuming care. I am thankful that I can be home this weekend. I am thankful that my youngest GD is choosing to publicly proclaim her faith in Jesus Christ by being baptized this weekend. I am thankful. Period. I am thankful in good times and bad. On mountains and the many valleys that have become my life in the past few months. B/C I know my God loves me deeply with an everlasting compassion.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm thankful for a gentle rain while I was out planting the strawberries. The "big wet" held off until I got the last plant into the ground.

I'm thankful that the fox did not kill any more of my birds than he did. I'm thankful that the roosters did not get killed. I still have the option of hatching from my flock if the need arises.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting. Is everyone getting a salary review? Or does it coincide with your hire date anniversary? I hope you get a nice pay raise. Unfortunately, pay and hour cuts are more the status quo here in the medical field. If your review was along the lines of a cut, everyone would be seeing that across the board. Perhaps they've been underpaying you, and they need to make up the difference!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Is everyone getting a salary review? Or does it coincide with your hire date anniversary? I hope you get a nice pay raise. Unfortunately, pay and hour cuts are more the status quo here in the medical field.

In the 20 plus years I've never had a formal scheduled meeting called "salary review". He gave me a bit of a bump last year albeit small and I let him know in a professional way, that I wasn't all that excited about the small increase. That was just an informal conversation and not a formal meeting.

So maybe he's coming back this year with a bigger increase or maybe it could just be they want me to be a manager again which I have refused multiple times. I don't mind giving work direction to various teams. But I don't want to have to buy stock in the Kleenex company, because everyone comes crying to me with there personal problems. Or maybe its a decrease or lay off. Heck IDK its anyone's guess... I have a great relationship with my boss so this is completely out of character for him.

Its only a 15 minute meeting so whatever he has to say is going to be short, without much conversation.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can say that I've not had a pay increase in the last 10 years! Overall, the profession has weathered a number of storms that usually result in lay offs, pay cuts, hour reductions.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am blessed by God. And, you know what? I truly am! Through it all, I am blessed, and will continue to praise His Holy name. Matthew 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner. of evil against you falsely, for my sake.