What did you cook from scratch today?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made an apple pie. My crust leaves a lot to be desired - but it is edible. Now I've got three loaves of whole wheat bread raising (or do I say rising??).

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Funny, I was just thinking about posting the apple pie recipe I made last weekend. :drool Maybe I will post it to this thread. It is from the book "Little Heathens":

Combine 3/4 cup sugar, 3 Tablespoons flour, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Use 3 Tablespoons of this mixture to cover the bottom crust. Pat it in gently, but firmly, with the opened palm of your hand.

Peel, core, and cut into eighths 6 Granny Smith apples. Arrange in crust and then sprinkle with the sugar-flour mixture. Dust liberally with cinnamon -- I used over a tsp of cinnamon. Pour a half pint of heavy cream over all and sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of sugar on top.

Bake in 450 degree F oven for 12 minutes, then reduce to 350 and bake one hour, or until the apples are done (tested with a toothpick).

The author did not indicate explicitly that it should be a single crusted pie, but I'm pretty sure that is how she is accustomed to making it. I added a top crust and I used my own crust recipe, which is an oat and flour crust. I also added some allspice to my pie, because I love spices.

Then I made some homemade caramel to drizzle on top! :drool

My husband and I ate a slice each for breakfast on Labor Day. Complete with the caramel on top. :lol: Did I mention that my husband, in general, hates pie? :lol: But this is really good pie. :D

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Funny, I was just thinking about posting the apple pie recipe I made last weekend. :drool Maybe I will post it to this thread. It is from the book "Little Heathens":

Combine 3/4 cup sugar, 3 Tablespoons flour, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Use 3 Tablespoons of this mixture to cover the bottom crust. Pat it in gently, but firmly, with the opened palm of your hand.

Peel, core, and cut into eighths 6 Granny Smith apples. Arrange in crust and then sprinkle with the sugar-flour mixture. Dust liberally with cinnamon -- I used over a tsp of cinnamon. Pour a half pint of heavy cream over all and sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of sugar on top.

Bake in 450 degree F oven for 12 minutes, then reduce to 350 and bake one hour, or until the apples are done (tested with a toothpick).

The author did not indicate explicitly that it should be a single crusted pie, but I'm pretty sure that is how she is accustomed to making it. I added a top crust and I used my own crust recipe, which is an oat and flour crust. I also added some allspice to my pie, because I love spices.

Then I made some homemade caramel to drizzle on top! :drool

My husband and I ate a slice each for breakfast on Labor Day. Complete with the caramel on top. :lol: Did I mention that my husband, in general, hates pie? :lol: But this is really good pie. :D
I love that book!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
I didnt get started until close to 4:00 this afternoon but I managed to do, homemade spaghetti sauce and spaghetti
cooked 10 lbs of deer burger
homemade bread and turned it into garlic bread with homemade garlic butter,
canned the rest of the spaghetti sauce and hamburger (all gluten free)

YUMMYYY!!!! :drool

no wonder I am exhausted :th

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Also made 20 gallons of burgoo last Sunday, but I went to bed as hubby was stirring because I had to work Mon and he was off but he fell asleep and let it scorch :sick YUCK :hit , I was pretty mad :he :somad :smack as I asked him to do it another weekend when I was off but no he said he could handle it..... They ate it but I couldn't stomach it, I hate scorched soup, so the critters had an expensive labor intensive treat.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
It is a local "soup" It has beef, chicken, navy beans, tomatoes, carrots, corn, cabbage, onion, potato, spaghetti noodles and lots of spices. You cook it in a big kettle on an open fire until very thick and yummy. But don't scorch it....