What did you cook from scratch today?

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Gluten free cream of mushroom soup to go on my chicken smothered in cream of mush soup and stewed tomatoes YUMMYYY!!!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chicken & Dumplings - comfort food for DH, who is not feeling well.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday I made Egg Pizza Crust

Here it is all rolled out and ready for toppings:
pizza_001.jpg

And finished with home made sauce , mozzarella, Anaheim peppers, onions, mushrooms, black olives, bacon, and hot sausage from our pastured pork.

pizza_004.jpg

ETA: Forgot the sauce recipe is posted on our site, so I linked to it as well.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Nice looking pizza :drool

I made sourdough english muffins for the first time. We knew they were so easy! I tried two different recipes, one in a keeper and one is not, so I have about 36 muffins in the frig & freezer.

My son is the only one who can eat them.. he is a happy dude!

Today I am re-trying the no knead SD bread. Last time it did not rise and burned...gonna tweek it some and see if I can make it work!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Today I made chicken soup....simmered a roasted chicken carcas from the freezer. Sauteed onion, garlic, celery and carrot in bacon grease, added some stock and white rice and let it simmer for a bit.....hit it with the hand held blender to make a nice thickish soup base. Just need to add the shredded chicken.

I also made GF peanut butter M&M cookies. And attempted the dang no knead SD again. Hit and miss....did not rise much but looks decent. Maybe I need to add a little baking soda or yeast?

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today was chorizo and eggs with tortillas for breakfast, then had to uses up some alomost stale home made bread, so I made french toast for the kids for lunch (peanut butter and syrup on the french toast is amazing!) I have to say having chickens is awesome... tonight will either be chicken and dumplings or beef and Barley soup or chicken encheladas, can't make up my mind... :D

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, and Kim?? That Pizza looks AMAZING!!! How did it taste? How do you like the sauce? (I need to make some soon)

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Holachicka said:
Oh, and Kim?? That Pizza looks AMAZING!!! How did it taste? How do you like the sauce? (I need to make some soon)
Oh, it was delicious! Next time, think I'll roast some garlic cloves, chop them and throw on there too. :D

The pizza sauce recipe is the only one we use. We really like it. I use a pint of homecanned tomatoes to make it. That probably improves it's flavor some.

The site is our farm website. So all the recipes there are our favorites.

Your meatloaf sounds interesting. DO you just chop SD tomato and add to a typicl meatloaf recipe? Or does it have other special ingredients?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Venison broth

Used the recipe in NT to process the bones from our deer. First I baked them, then I covered them with water and let them simmer for 4 days adding vegies and wine vinegar. I also added 1 legbone that wasn't baked first.
It has now been strained and is sitting in the fridge so the fat will solidify for easy removal.
Most of the bones were so brittle, that I was able to crush them with my fingers. The dog got most of the meat and some of these brittle bones and carrots. The rest went to the chickens. They loved the crushed bones. I saved some of them, so I can give it to them another time.

I plan on canning it in small jars, so it will be easy to use in my recipes.