sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yikes - that's scary!

It was a bit! We couldn't see the shooter and they couldn't see us and it being a small road into the woods, they probably wasn't expecting walkers there this morning and in this weather. So I figured it's safer to turn back. It just felt too dangerous out there.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had someone jump out of their car and shoot a turkey within eyesight of our house. My husband yelled at him, the guy yelled "well I saw your house and I wasn't shooting towards it".... Uh if you see a house you shouldn't be shooting.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm not joining in on the rain complaints. GORGEOUS weather again! And still no bugs! Going in the records as best spring ever!

I planted Love-in-a-Mist. Picked up windblown shingles. Watered my containers. Haven't done much outside yet. My list is
  • Plant sunflower
  • Mulch tomatoes and rhubarb
  • Check the mail obsessively to see if seeds have arrived yet
  • Trim tall grass along the edges of landscaping near the house
Whaddya bet I don't finish anything on the list and do something else outside instead? I'm a "spontaneous" type. :gig

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The game warden lives a mile up the road. Would have been a good time for him to drive by but no such luck!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I haven't come here every day, so I'll post what I did in the past week. I may not get it all. It's the season! Here are the highlights.

I did a little weeding, added lots of wood chip mulch (maybe fifty large wheelbarrows so far?), added some mineral amendments namely copper and zinc and manganese, did some more weeding, picked, dehydrated, and powdered 15 gallons of wormwood and fed about the same amount to the goats, picked, chopped and froze eight and a half pounds of rhubarb, did some more weeding, harvested about 3 gallons of scallions and froze some, salted some, and buried some in a gallon of salt as the beginning of a big batch of seasoned salt, weeded, made compost tea to water my seedlings, and now my break is over so I am heading back outside to move some more wood chips. I should be able to plant in a couple of days since it is finally getting warm enough. The wood chip piles are near the swamp so I need to get that part done before the mosquitoes come out this week.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You make your own seasoned salt? That's cool! Do you add any other flavors?
This is my first time doing it with fresh flavorings. My plan is to sift out the salt from the scallions just because I used to the fibrous ends of the big ones. I'll run it through the dehydrator to make that easier to do. Then when the garlic comes in I'll add garlic, pulverizing it because that will stay in the salt. I will also add some onions. When the hot peppers come in I will add a little bit of those to some of the salt but not all of it. I've made it in the past by just stirring powdered garlic and onion and pepper in with salt, maybe a little parsley, but it's going to be made with fresh things this year. I'm betting it will be amazing. I made a lot so I could gift some of it.