Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I spread some Wine Cap mushroom spawn in the garden under the yet to be planted pole bean trellis, and 2 other beds of spawn in the orchard. I bagged up 4 smaller portions and gave them to neighbors and friends. This became the first ever W. County Wine Cap competition to see who can produce the first edible mushroom. Our miserable cold weather pattern is supposed to break tomorrow, so... the rush is on to get the garden planted, the deer netting up, the mushroom spawned beds protected from chicken invasion, and complete a dozen other projects before getting carried off by black flies.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope that does well for you. I've never ventured into mushrooms - but I really should check it out. Love, love, love to eat them - so why not grow some? DUH

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started mulching today, finally. Just have to make myself do a little bit every day, even if I tired from work. Just being in the garden is rejuvenating. I don't want it to get away from me this year. Wish DH liked to garden....he just likes to eat it, lol!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm totally pooped out!
faint.gif
Been going and going since this morning and got many things done but not as many as one would expect for all the effort and backing and forthing.
wink.gif

There's so much to be done, especially when the weather is this perfect, that I can't seem to settle on just one task....so a lot of running back and forth doing little things in the middle of doing big things.

Worked on some DIY projects, entertained company, and tried to get little chores done in between.

Got the peonies tied back, trimmed up the honeysuckle by the garden gate, removed the mailbox I had in there mounted up on a fence post...was storing hand tools, seeds, etc. in there but the ants took it over and I have dry space under my garden bench for storing things now, so down it came. Put a handle on the garden gate...looks better. Got wire cut for the low tunnel and go the Agribon fitted on there..finally...so it's starting to look like a low tunnel now. Have two more smaller ones to do. Planted a rhubarb plant transplanted from my son's garden...can't ever have too much rhubarb. :drool

Got a few weeds cut down in the garden...almost got a handle on them. Loaded up the truck with things I'll need for a DIY project at my son's garden tomorrow. Planted some Fortex beans, watered a few things in there.

Things I need to do there...put up another CP trellis for tomatoes(first need to buy and haul that item), haul chips like crazy, plant some left over potatoes in there for lack of a better place to put them, same with some onion sets. Reseed a tray of lettuce for the next planting, cut wire for the other low tunnel, plant pumpkins, make cloches for the coming squash plants, and keep up on weeds until I can get chips hauled. Need to lay down some composted DL from the coop on some thin places in the chips before applying the new layer of chips.

What a blessing to have good work to do and the energy/strength to do it, with gorgeous weather in which to do it! :weee The honeysuckle is blooming and the woods around our meadow is filled with honeysuckle, so it smells like I imagine Heaven will smell around here.

I thank God for this beautiful day and the weariness and aching of my body this day...I don't mind hurting from honest, get down in the dirt work. :love

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm envious too. Beautiful day and beautiful rain showers in the afternoon. I was stuck inside due to a certain misbehaving child. :duc

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I love reading all the garden to-do's of the day. It makes me miss mine!! :hit:hit

However, I am glad y'all can get out and work on it.

@freemotion That seasoned salt sounds WONDERFUL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's some pics I took today as I was to-ing and fro-ing....

Low tunnel with romaine, carrots, pak choy, broccoli, etc.

100_5613.jpg
100_5616.jpg

The new gate made from old stuff...finally put on a handle today. Not the gate built for son's garden, but made from old picket fencing from his place.

100_5606.jpg

This poor tortured peony has traveled many miles, been transplanted several times and hasn't bloomed for 11 yrs...but is now blooming!!!

100_5609.jpg

100_5610.jpg

By the garden gate....

100_5612.jpg

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
The peonies are wonderful! (and is everything else)

We have two big peony bushes by our cabin. They smell great and very pretty too.