sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's beautiful!!
Thanks! My landlord dropped in and saw it and asked me about it. He said he never saw a deep red one like that before. I'm definitely saving seeds from these guys for next year! Amazingly the birds have been ignoring them so far.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to grind corn for my chickens (had debeaked ex-battery hens - ground corn was easier for them to eat). I used a meat grinder for it, one of those old-fashioned manual ones that screws onto a counter top. The Indian corn we grew in S.A. ground up easier than the regular yellow corn, I found. It was softer. Small handfuls at a time and it went through quick enough. Very time consuming though!

Thanks :) I have two of those old fashioned meat grinders like your talking about. They make arm muscles strong like bull ox. I may have to put a low rpm motor on mine.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks :) I have two of those old fashioned meat grinders like your talking about. They make arm muscles strong like bull ox. I may have to put a low rpm motor on mine.
They did nothing for my arms! :lol: Gosh, I wish they did. But then as I said I did small amounts of corn at a time and spaced it out enough through the day, so I don't stand there for an hour at a time grinding. To make things easier you can half boil the corn beforehand, but then it really goes mushy and sticky and may not work for you. I don't know though, give it a try?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They did nothing for my arms! :lol: Gosh, I wish they did. But then as I said I did small amounts of corn at a time and spaced it out enough through the day, so I don't stand there for an hour at a time grinding. To make things easier you can half boil the corn beforehand, but then it really goes mushy and sticky and may not work for you. I don't know though, give it a try?

I run two at a time - one for the left arm and one for the right arm. After a little while, you quickly realize it's a pretty good arm workout :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I run two at a time - one for the left arm and one for the right arm. After a little while, you quickly realize it's a pretty good arm workout :)
Dang, I wish you were there when I needed to grind corn! lol Two at the same time I can imagine… So, are you going to give it a shot with your corn?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Getting some interesting carrots from the garden. DS really enjoyed digging these out lol

IMG_20180831_182047.jpg