wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Hinotori Those are so TINY! Our crab apples are about 2" in size.

@CrealCritter Maybe it is like the TV show "Who's Line Is It Anyway" and the points don't matter.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori Those are so TINY! Our crab apples are about 2" in size.

@CrealCritter Maybe it is like the TV show "Who's Line Is It Anyway" and the points don't matter.

I know! They make European crabapples look huge.

They are full of pectin as well. I think even more than their European cousins. I get issues with the jelly getting too thick sometimes.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had all but given up hope on my crossed tomatoes. Then just like that softball sized tomatoes start appearing. I guess all we needed is 3 1/2 weeks without any rain.

I showed my wife she said oh good, I was wondering when your single slice tomato sandwich tomatoes were going to come in. She obviously has more faith in me than I do in myself.

Anyways the tomato line lives on, yeah seeds for next year :) I have several more this size or bigger, not quite ripe enough to pick yet though.

No screen licking now.
IMG_20190920_160519209.jpg

IMG_20190920_160530943.jpg

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang - that's a hefty tomato! How do they taste? Are they a tart tomato, a sweet tomato or somewhere in between?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang - that's a hefty tomato! How do they taste? Are they a tart tomato, a sweet tomato or somewhere in between?

They had been sweet but I don't know about this year's. I haven't cut it yet.

If you look at the top, this one is actually three tomatoes that grew into a single tomato. That's a first for me. Up until this year, it's always been a double tomato. Somewhere around here I have pictures of double flowers on the plants, that produce these large tomatoes. But see the three stems in the center of this one and three divisions on the tomato itself?

Last edited:

Latest posts