Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the seedlings transplanted to 2" pots and did a light foliar feed with worm poop. Restarted my squash and melons since they all died; I suspect damping off, so this time I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top of the soil.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just watered plants and composted more chicken poo today. Yesterday I set out 32 leggy tomato plants. Dig holes a foot deep with post hole diggers and covered them really well. I still wound up laying over half of them sideways in the holes to get them in without too much top side. I was explaining to the kid that all the bottom leaves and stalk that is underground will grow more roots and become the root ball of the plant making them healthier and sturdier as the get bigger and begin to fruit. Some days she’s like a sponge, other days she wants to lay in bed all day and goof off on Instagram or SnapChat...I was glad for the company and willingness to hold the string line back yesterday lol!! We had some great conversation while I worked. Today she poked her head outside once and hollered she loved me for no obvious reason other than she just does and I told her I love her too. Kids 🤷‍♀️ Who knows where their minds are half the time 😂

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I ordered seeds last night and took a picture of it today - does that count for anything?
IMG_20200424_170315.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got my peas planted. Almost ran out- I just barely had enough seed for the whole bed, but I managed to find seed saved over the last 5 years; hopefully they will all sprout and I'll have enough for us and to share. I think I will forego favas this year as they just don't give me enough of a crop for the land I can give them. Maybe I will set aside that space for more turnips... or more winter squash.

I'm trying to decide whether to let the overwintered kale and chard stay where they are long enough to set seed. One of the kale plants looks like it's getting ready to send out some flowers, but I'm not sure since I've never had any of either plant survive over the winter. Hopefully since these did, their seed will yield me some plants that are a teensy bit hardier.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did some hedge trimming yesterday. I have the bits to rake up today and turf out some where off the paths. I am trying to smother the weeds that are harder to pull with rabbit litter so I might dump the leaves on top of that. I am going to trim back some of that spikey bush once the morning fog passes. The sunrise is brilliant orange and red through the bush fire smoke.

All of the seedlings are going well, slowly, but well. I'd love a few more BIG pots but I don't like my changes of finding any until the tip shop is open again and people start dumping their pandemic preps.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planted out some scallions that I bought last fall in the grocery store and only used the green tops. They spent the winter in the greenhouse, where they provided us with a small number of green onions, but they will do better out in the fresh air. I'm more likely to remember to water them, too! ;)

Then I pulled weeds in another bed. After a short break here, we'll put some manure and trace minerals on it and get it ready for planting. Right now all that can go into the ground is radishes, onion, and peas. Carrots are a maybe, but things won't really start cooking until Mid-May.