Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope my neighbors do the same. I don't want to see anyone going hungry, but we simply do not have the room or the money to help them all. I try to give excess stuff when we have it, but it won't go very far unfortunately.

One thing we are saving money for is a Simple Pump. That will ensure we can pump water from our well even if there is no electricity. Sure, the river is near by, but depending on the time of year we regularly get a toxic algae bloom- the water is not safe to drink then, even if you try to filter it, or boil it. The only thing I've ever heard of which MIGHT (they won't guarantee this) make the water safe to drink is the Berkey Black filter. Water coming out of the ground is still safe however. I don't know the science to figure out why, but I know it's safe. Anyway, if we had a way to pull the water up even without electricity, we should be able to help out the neighbors too (their labor though).

The beets that overwintered in the garden appear to be about 1" in diameter. I have NO idea whether they will get any bigger or even if the roots are worth harvesting now.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
cleaned out for Kentucky Wonder Pole green beans. I'm going to can them

I'm planting/canning those, too! Grandad used to have them in the cornfield as his trellis. I like them canned as they not only tenderize but, they hold up to canning and don't get mushy like some. Nice taste, also. Then, I run a row of the faster, smaller, bush type which mostly only gets eaten fresh...or in frozen soups & casseroles.

So far, we seem to be the only people on our road that are growing a garden or have any livestock.

Pretty much same here with gardens. A few small ones but most are retired people with income and would rather shop. Most of livestock are actually some riding horses or a couple chickens. One place has all kind of animals as they run a "pet party" business....I suspect a lot of feed and little income this year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That one isn't behind you? I know you use some neighbors land for pasture.
No, I actually meant right behind where I was standing when I took that picture. I'll get pictures of it eventually (if I ever get it mulched and weeded, lol)

I've got to get mine planted. Your pics make me feel like a slacker! Of course, you are warmer there a little earlier than here. I'm looking for reasons to console myself. LOL

We are definitely warmer here. One of the weather liars said we might be pushing triple digits by late next week. I'm so not ready for that. We're supposed to have a cool morning Thursday - wonder if I can butcher another pig real quick like?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have severe storms coming in tonight. I was going to hit the garden after chores this morning, but are already getting thunderstorms. Our living room floor space is now taken up by 3 large sleeping dogs. LOL Haven’t even got chores done.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope my neighbors do the same. I don't want to see anyone going hungry, but we simply do not have the room or the money to help them all. I try to give excess stuff when we have it, but it won't go very far unfortunately.

One thing we are saving money for is a Simple Pump. That will ensure we can pump water from our well even if there is no electricity. Sure, the river is near by, but depending on the time of year we regularly get a toxic algae bloom- the water is not safe to drink then, even if you try to filter it, or boil it. The only thing I've ever heard of which MIGHT (they won't guarantee this) make the water safe to drink is the Berkey Black filter. Water coming out of the ground is still safe however. I don't know the science to figure out why, but I know it's safe. Anyway, if we had a way to pull the water up even without electricity, we should be able to help out the neighbors too (their labor though).

The beets that overwintered in the garden appear to be about 1" in diameter. I have NO idea whether they will get any bigger or even if the roots are worth harvesting now.

leave the beets to flower and eat some of the greens if you like chard.

i tried to get some beet seeds one year this way but Mom has a habit of pulling things she doesn't like if it doesn't look tidy enough. so they got pulled and i didn't even know it until a few weeks later so i couldn't rescue them from the weed pile.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
leave the beets to flower and eat some of the greens if you like chard.

i tried to get some beet seeds one year this way but Mom has a habit of pulling things she doesn't like if it doesn't look tidy enough. so they got pulled and i didn't even know it until a few weeks later so i couldn't rescue them from the weed pile.

and today she scraped my radish seedlings into oblivion. they're what tell me it is time to plant. :) i'm not particularly happy with those sprouts being gone, but there is a good chance others will be along.

Latest posts