flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did a little weeding- did a little mulching.

View attachment 13793View attachment 13794

yay pictures! :) so nice to see other's gardens.

for me yesterday was the last day of the part of the project i've been working on since last fall. the pallets are finally processed. now i have to get on with the next parts, but it sure does look a lot nicer not having those piles of rotting pallets and chunks of rotting pallets with rusty nails sticking out all over the place.

pictures eventually. :) it's coming along.

today i can get on with pulling out some more draintube from a garden so i can use it in this project and then see how that goes. if it goes well i can get some of the piles of debris started used as fill so that can be disappeared. in a place where it won't need to be disturbed again or be a risk to anyone else again. and then move some yards of pea gravel, get going on the garden renovation and planting some peas.

at last it looks like we'll have warm enough days to make whilred peas possible. :)

funny how some people already have peas they are sick of (that's not something i ever say) and tiny tomaters. :) we're still weeks away from even putting out the tomato plants.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a BIG garden FEM....
That's only half of it lol. Right behind me is another half that's planted mostly in corn and winter squash. AND, I found another place to put some more winter squash - one of my favorite veggies. Ever had butternut squash chili? That's some pretty good stuff!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That one isn't behind you? I know you use some neighbors land for pasture....but. I like all the huge pots, too. I want some of those! Have a few small rectangular ones that are nice & solid. Used to be for recycling pick up at curb. Already have drainage holes, etc. Maybe 4 or 5 of them here -- 2X3 or 2X4 ish. Have bags for potatoes saved....can't find potatoes. LOL Will grab some at grocer and wash good. They will sprout.

OK, Iove butternut squash. Never had it in chili.

I've got to get mine planted. Your pics make me feel like a slacker! Of course, you are warmer there a little earlier than here. I'm looking for reasons to console myself. LOL

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to grow garden peas and get great crops when I was a kid. It was pretty miserable soil too, almost pure sand. I literally had to beg my dad to let me have a small garden after my Mom passed away. Her garden area was immediately seeded to grass as soon as the snow melted after her death. About 4 eyars later, I literally had to BEG my Dad if I could have a small garden area to grow garden peas - he finally agreed as long as I took care of it myself and grew green onions for him, lol. I planted peas, pumpkins and green onions. :lol: He bought me the seeds and onion starts. I sold the pumpkins at Halloween, ate all the peas myself (out in the garden while they were still warm from the sun), and Dad got his fresh green onions to go with his sandwich on Saturdays. Well, I think there was one meal of peas for the family...

I haven't had a decent crop of peas since then.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's only half of it lol. Right behind me is another half that's planted mostly in corn and winter squash. AND, I found another place to put some more winter squash - one of my favorite veggies. Ever had butternut squash chili? That's some pretty good stuff!
No, I never had butternut squash chili. But maybe you could share a recipe?

Today I pulled weeds and split them between the pigs and chickens. I almost have a row cleaned out for Kentucky Wonder Pole green beans. I'm going to can them. Yesterday I planted Painted Mountain corn in peat pellets. I have to get them started, then transplant because the crows pull up new sprouts to eat the corn kernel off. Smarty pants crows!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Planted some flowers with the grandgirls, caught some new chicks that are living in the garden right now and soaked up some sunshine.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My first spuds are peaking through the soil. That was a relief. I am hoping the rest come up. Half of my peas are up. The other half are not. Not sure why...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All we got done today was tighten up a couple of the raised bed frames that were starting to open up a bit at the corners. We used L brackets to hold everything together and on a couple of beds we used smaller brackets that aren't holding up to the pressure the soil exerts. Tomorrow is the day I pick up fresh milk so I will also head into town and pick up some of the beefier brackets. I also want to check the local nursery; their Facebook page said they have elderberry, gooseberry, and honeyberry plants available. I'll also check on what they have for vegetable starts since I don't know if I will have enough transplants available when it comes time for planting. I would rather buy some now and know I have what I need. If I end up with more than I need, I can share the excess with neighbors.
So far, we seem to be the only people on our road that are growing a garden or have any livestock.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most people on my road have at least a small garden of they can keep the deer and elk out. More people have picked up chickens this year. I'm hearing roosters from a direction I hadn't before.

Latest posts