Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sumi, if you have mild autumns, you can get that pumpkin in the ground in June/July and it will catch right up no problem. Probably even go on an accelerated growth due to the added warmth of those months. These things grow like crazy!

I'll be hoping you find a good place to settle, Miss Sumi...that's a hard thing to be moving your household right in the middle of garden season. Any time one moves is hectic, but right in the middle of gardening? That's for the birds. :hugs

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Greens are always a good late crop especially with the price of greens (here in the States anyway)! I have planted green beans in the middle of July and had a good crop before frost in late October.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes! Also peppers...mine don't even start to do anything until July or August and don't have a crop until late September or early October. I'm intentionally planting my seeds for those later this year so as to better coincide with how they actually grow here. If I get pepper plants from a nursery one has to buy them now before they are gone, then they sit in the garden doing nothing but attracting pests and fungus.

Squash can be planted late as well. So, pumpkins, squash, beans, greens, peppers....that's almost a whole garden right there! Tomatoes can go in pots right now and be moved along with the household goods so you at least have some fresh maters for meals, if not enough for actual canning.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Also peppers...mine don't even start to do anything until July or August and don't have a crop until late September or early October.
Shows the climate differences. I'm already getting peppers - one of the first things I picked this year. And, it's from the pepper that's in a pot...the ones in the ground had to deal with getting ripped up and their tops being eaten by the goats.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I weeded the potatoes and pulled a bunch of radishes and ran the sprinkler for an hour yesterday after cutting the grass. Everything is looking SO good! I have tomatoes and peppers popping up everywhere now and I can't wait for some fresh ripe tomatoes! I started some gourds..some gigantic kind I don't remember the name of...but I hope they grow considering I've had the seed for so long they may not even germinate. I'm going to start a lot more plants next week.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20170526_103347.jpg
Got everything planted (everything thing for now that is) and watered
20170526_104500.jpg

Silas is very proud of his tomato

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What a little cutie!!!! :love I love that look of pride in that smile...it's just beaming out of him! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Pulled some carrots that were planted last fall and finally grew this spring. The first one was tough as a hide, so not much hope for the others but I can say these are the first carrots grown successfully in this garden....ever. Heavy clay soils don't make for good carrot growing.

Planted a peony, this time planted it just like it is in the pot, with some of the root exposed and all. Didn't cover that part but did put plenty of compost in the hole along with the dirt from the pot. It has three or four buds on it already and I hope they emerge after planting.

Hoed and pulled all the weeds growing in the garden, supported some sugar snap peas...they are getting HUGE and heavy and haven't even set peas yet. Most are almost 5 ft. tall and starting to bloom.

Hauled a barrow full of chicken litter compost from the coop and spread onto thin areas, around rhubarb and squash/pumpkin plants. Will start to haul fresh chips to the garden in a bit.

So far I'm tickled at the growth I'm seeing in the garden this year...everything is loving the composted chips this year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Picking yer brains, y'all. What's your best organic solution to flea beetles? Today I used sulfur dust on the taters for the flea beetles but not even sure if that will work. I've used lime in the past and that worked reasonably well but I'm currently out of lime, so just used the next best thing.

I could have used soap spray but was too lazy to get that all together and I was going to dust the dogs with sulfur anyway as part of their flea management, so just gave the spuds a light dusting of it as well. Will that work? I don't know...I'll report back on that.