tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Been gone most of the day. My plant order arrived. The rhubarb roots are laughably tiny. o_O I planted 25 more strawberries in my little strawberry bed. Crowd out the weeds, I say! I planted 32 carnation plants in a long-neglected rock garden. I hope everything makes it...:fl

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Better late than never! Got working in my new garden area today -- a no longer used round pen. It's fenced, convenient to house, barn, electric & water. With some board replacement and a layer of chicken wire all around, it will be "mostly" protected from chickens & goats. Our grow season is long, Fall garden will be ready and next Spring I can get in early with already established beds.

HOWEVER -- it is work!! I did fence board repairs, tiller in shop, so pitchfork & shovels today. Have ample goat, chicken, horse fertilizer, beddings, etc. Thought about buying some soil (easier & ready) then said to self -- you have 15 acres of soil!!! What are you thinking?! So, tractor & shovels and dump trailer on mower. Do you see the WORK I'm seeing??????? :th Once done, will seem better. LOL.

My previous garden area was turned into chicken runs. So, I was searching for a close area that I would use, once begun. The ground is good, fence 99% done & tiller in shop!
I can say I feel MUCH better this AM than I did filthy, hot & tired yesterday. Calling shop on tiller today! :rolleyes:

Began by removing some other items....
053117001.jpg

Some improvement is seen....
053117002.jpg

Some volunteer help arrived...

053117006.jpg

A stop work command was issued ...
053117009.jpg

Overnight temp protection had to be used ...
053117009a.jpg

Volunteer tomato plants from the old hog pen ...
0531170010.jpg

Here's my challenge.... 50 ft across... :caf
053117001a.jpg

My tiller will be quite welcome! Make things easier and allow planting to continue. Have some cattle panels & stores of old wood boards in my "treasure pile". Gotta walk the talk at some point and this year my garden has to work for me again. After all it is part of my "3 yr to be able to stay home FT" plan. Garden & preserving needs to be in place. This will be a permanent area, large enough for me, for sure!! :old

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Go you! You have a lovely piece of property! You'll be glad all winter that you gave in and started your garden!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm hardening mine right now... Should be about 6 more days til they spend a night outside! Depending on the weather. Yay northern climates... Not...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Before I started talking to all of you southern folks, I didn't think much about how short our season is. Now I'm depressed! Lol!

It sure does make it hard to eat fresh foods...