tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
y'all are making me jealous and antsy! I can start celery seeds indoors in 2 weeks and start onion seeds in 4 weeks. Feels like a long wait!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I am antsy too, @tortoise. These mild days tempt me to get started planting, but I know winter is not done with us yet. Our coldest months are coming still and we had snow already. But it's fun to be out there prepping anyway. I still have quite a bit to do, before I can plant anything. I think I'm going to sew direct. That's how I've always done it and I had fairly decent results until now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Beekissed apparently it's around 200 years old and clay, not stone. They are not very uncommon finds here, people dig them up now and then, so I'm going to hang onto this one.

It's a beautiful day here, mid-40's and sunny, so I'm going to mess around a bit in the backyard. Clean up some more, prepare the space for my future garden :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It has become sunny now...late morning....but won't get above freezing until mid afternoon. Plus, wind chill drops it another 10 degrees. :( No gardening today -- EXCEPT going thru my seeds AGAIN. It just make you antsy, yes, but also promotes hope for a nice harvest. I can taste the tomatoes, eggplant, fresh beans, cukes, lettuce -- yeah, sheer punishment when I then look outside or open the door :lol:

Finally got son to return my tractor as I want to do some things during my time at home next 3 days. Well, may not get as much as hoped because this AM weather says we will be getting snow on WED -- +/- 1-2" :hide. Just not wanted or needed!! :\ Looks like day 3 will be shot out from under me. :mad:

I want to be OVER winter....like everyone else.:lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We lost a lot of our snow but are getting up to 6" Wednesday. I got my seeds in the mail, and DH and I have started to talk about gardening plans. I need to go through my old seeds and figure out which ones are pushing it on age. Hard to get rid of seeds, even old ones!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You all are ahead of me, I have pumpkin seeds and that's it. I need to go buy some before spring, just waiting for the garden centres and shops to restock them. They'll have all of what I want, except the squash. DS asked me if he can have an area in the back for his own garden and I said of course he can! He picked a spot that I haven't cleaned yet, as there are some smaller branches and other stuff there that I didn't feel like sorting yet. He's also starting to see the potential in the backyard and dreaming and planning with me now :)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We lost a lot of our snow but are getting up to 6" Wednesday. I got my seeds in the mail, and DH and I have started to talk about gardening plans. I need to go through my old seeds and figure out which ones are pushing it on age. Hard to get rid of seeds, even old ones!

I'm so bad, I have this lot of seeds from 2008-2012 and I really want to plant them. When you have space it's hard to say no....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's true! I just have limited space this year and no patience for putting the work in if I end up with poor results from old seeds. So I'm ditching the old stuff, but I have some that are only a year or two old I'll keep. If I had more space and more patience I might try them all though!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've just made the decision to plant most of the old seeds for the chickens. I don't care if they don't grow - I just can't bare the thought of not giving them a chance :lol:
I wouldn't direct seed anything old in my garden as I wouldn't want to waste space there. But I would consider transplanting.