Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got my potting soil today...it's a little pricier than the usual stuff but I love the germination rate from it~it's organic, all natural, has bat guano, worm castings, fungal rhizomes in it, etc. It's called Happy Frog from FoxFarms. :rolleyes: Don't know why they call it Happy Frog.....

HappyFrog_2CF_7d25d92e1884304ae2313b20ab78e4ca.png

https://foxfarmfertilizer.com/item/happy-frog-174-potting-soil.html

So....ready to start those onions any day now. Just need to find my other deep tray, soak my seed for 24 hrs and do the do. And so it begins.... :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Rinsed my sprouts.. Ate some lettuce from my hydroponics system.. Wish I could do more. I have such a bad case of spring fever.:p
I hear you on spring fever… I was looking at the beautiful carpet of snow in my backyard this morning and trying (and failing!) to picture a garden there. Come on warm weather!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
60s here today, raining all day, ground is just mush....saw some garlic poking out of the hay in the garden. Spring is coming....not quite yet, we'll have more snow and such, but it's most definitely on the way. The chickens are laying up a storm.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted peas in the big 3x5 planter last tuesday. Think I'll try spinach in the bit smaller ones I did the peas in last year

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got the sugar snap peas planted this evening...they were already sprouted, so it shouldn't take long to see if they will do well. Noted several places in the garden with a fine growth of new grass....each place where it's growing is where my hens have gotten into the garden this winter and scratched the hay back to a thinner layer. Will have to get the old, rotten and wet bales by the dog hut and plop some flakes down on these grass growths.

Also planting trays of veggies tonight and some flowers too. Planted maters~only 2 1/2 doz. this year, hot wax peppers~3 doz., broccoli~1/2 doz., sweet peppers~1/2 doz., romaine lettuces of various kinds ~2 doz. for now...will do succession plantings of these, carrots, pak choi, nappa, etc., 1/2 doz. pak choi, 1/2 doz. carrots. When these greens hit the garden, I'll plant some green onion sets with each succession planting so that each planting will have all I'll need for a salad each week. I'll try to do that all spring and into the summer for as long as the heat will allow.

I'll also plant some sunflowers in this one tray, seeds gleaned from that huge volunteer I had in the garden this past year. I want to plant one seedling of that plant at each fence post, which I'll tie to the post to support it. I'll then plant some Fortex and half runner beans at each sunflower.

Next tray will have to be zinnias and calendula...this year I hope to plant seedlings instead of direct sowing, so that I can more easily space them for getting less leggy growth, more air and more support.

Tomorrow I'll cut up my seed taters and let them get to curing out.

And so it begins, folks...the new garden season is upon us. I pray a blessing on my gardening efforts and also on all your efforts out there in your individual gardens. May we have a great gardening year!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I watched 6" of snow fall on my garden today. Does that count? :gig. I have a thought time coping about now when you southerners are planting. I get jealous.

I have onion and celery seedlings in the window. I will start things started 6-8 weeks before last frost in the next two weeks.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can plant sugar snap peas in that snow, Tortoise! They love the cold. Same with onions, carrots, lettuce and such.