frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good day, MMD.

I watered, and watered, and watered... we are seemingly entering a slight drought. Also weeded a bit and added some more mulch...and then I picked some green beans. They're in a pot right now with some bacon and garlic and the cornbread is in the oven.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No drought here!! Had been a touch dry but, not enough to be an issue. So, feeling I would be able to till, I stopped on way home last Tuesday eve and crumbled and bought plants. 9 tomatoes, 3 green peppers, 3 pimento peppers, 6 eggplant. I awoke to rain Wed AM....has rained every day since! Scattered showers and heavy downpours. :th can't till. All sitting there waiting. Figured I'd direct seed some more but these would give me a "start". Some start. PLUS, with all the rain, heat and fertilizer out there (thanks chickens/goats!) the darned grass is growing so fast it will be a major mow event. All weather reports say more and more thru Monday!

:idunno I wait. :( At least the plants were nice and very inexpensive from a small, local hardware. $1.50 per 3 pk. They are about 12" ones, heavy stems, good plants. If this keeps up I may have to pot them for a week or two.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@sumi and @Beekissed , I think it's super cool that you traded!

@frustratedearthmother , you are picking zucchini and squash and tomatoes, and I finally got mine in the ground today!:ep But I'm behind this spring. Ive now got a fenced in garden to protect it from the dogs and chickens, covered it all in two year old non-sprayed hay, built several raised beds, and am finally filling those. Hot peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, yellow squash, and zucchini were all planted today, and okra was separated and planted in bigger pots.. and we finally got some rain, so I'm rejoicing!:weee

And so it begins....I'll be expecting more beautiful pics of all that's growing.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
So, just realized I will be back on the home place this summer and into the fall. That means I am back in the garden! Green beans, sweet corn, green onions, peppers, okra, cucumbers, and tomatoes are in the ground. Ordered seeds for my fall garden and my late summer crops this morning before church.

I hope to get the last of my Roma and Rutgers tomatoes in the ground in the morning. I got them for free too! So, even better. Then put in the last of the cucumbers, and set out my marigolds. I'm also on the hunt for some Cosmos to go in the ground.

Exciting stuff!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's been raining softly on and off since last night, so I finished up preparing the lawn area today. Just need to sow the seeds and rake over it again now. I'm hoping the rain will lure some more seedlings in the vegetable garden out as well :\ I am NOT impressed with the seeds I bought. So many didn't come up.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope it will! For all my efforts I have a lot of peas, a few carrot seedlings, a few swiss chard seedlings and two cauliflower seedlings :rolleyes: I did some some peppers and tomatoes recently, so I'm waiting on those as well as the second planting of cauliflower now. I'm going to try the sweetcorn again, this time from the other packet of seeds I bought. (I accidentally bought two packets)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hoping for some rain today to do my watering for me...

:( Your rain is at my house. Wish some had stayed with you!

Of course, I can't make it go from E to W....otherwise I'd send it!! We've had over 6" in past 6 days and 4 more days of it coming. I'm not flooded but it's more than enough. Can't till, dig, all that with such wet surface plus couple inches down.

It's a bummer.

Latest posts