more_frosting

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I took delivery of a new shed yesterday and spent yesterday afternoon and this morning building and painting it. The garden is almost finished, I just need to finish off a couple of paths and it'll be ready for summer.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love this question!

DS10 and I dug many many baby thistles out of a small, bare spot of pasture. I seeded birdseed (mostly millet) and oats there - the only somewhat appropriate things I had on hand.

I planted 5# of poppy seed that had been in my freezer for several years. Had overwhelming germination last year, but the chickens ate the sprouts. Dang chickens! I can't get anything started in one of my gardens because of them! This time I scraped back grass and threw handfuls on patches of bare soil, raked the gras back over. I don't have high hopes, but I'm glad it's not in my freezer anymore.

I decided to start perennials that would be appropriate for cut flowers. I picked my location, decided what to plant - and how - and ordered seed. I'm way to excited about this! Not telling DH about my plan!

I transplanted some irises that I found barely growing in well-drained sandy soil. Nope! They prefer moist, even slightly clay-ish. I moved them to better soil. I found some other lilies, irises, and hostas to save from that location. Previous owner must have tried to grow a garden - there's landscape cloth down. I have quite a lot left to move!
Planted some new bean seeds in small pots, watered all the plants, added a couple of fish In my mini pond. Happy Gardening.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.
Just the basics, watered the plants, tended the mini pond, fed the fish, ate outside (as always). and enjoyed the magnificent view of my labor.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's finally warming up, so I went out to look at things. The figs haven't started yet, but the wood is green and flexible. The aronias and gooseberries are budding out. The beets that overwintered are starting to perk up. Some of the kale survived the winter AND the chickens (what's it take? Napalm?). The garlic and shallots are coming up, and the irises and tulips are all several inches high. No asparagus yet :(
Time to start my seedlings, I guess.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Snow is off the garden, and off half of the lawn. Garden is still very frozen, yet... chives and sorrel are sprouting! An other week or so, and I'll be able to harvest some for salads. Oh glorious spring! Saw a whole flock of Red Wing Black Birds at dtr's house several days ago!

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.
I did virtually nothing. It rained. so my daily watering plants are already completed.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sowed another round of cabbage. Planted all of my peppers today: California Wonder, Anaheim Chile, Marconi, Shi****o, Jalapeño, and Cayenne. Experimented with some onions today too. It's a little late to start them, but I was given three packs of free seed on Tuesday and I wanted to try it. Also, sowed a few trays of cauliflower.

Latest posts