Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Because of covid19, Not much really. just watered the plants, trimmed some leaves, that's all. We really can't go out, because of the quarantine.
You can't even go outside to your own yard?

We still can't do much outside as it's still pretty cold. I think we'll be able to plant peas and favas pretty soon though. My seedlings are popping up and looking very happy inside- I bought some LED grow lights and they are doing a fantastic job- the seedlings have that rich dark green color they get when they are outside, rather than the pale green my seedlings usually have.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I topped off my corn rows with a compost, sand and horse manure mixture. I then told my wife in no uncertain terms "I just topped the corn rows. If in a month, when I put seeds to soil, those Guineas start digging at my corn and sunflower rows they're going in the freezer"

We have chickens, guineas and ducks. When we moved into this house we let the chickens roam free but, destructive little ****s that they are, they dug up all the mulch that I carefully laid around all my apple trees, my wife's blueberries, my banana plants ( don't ask) and even went after landscaping rocks. Since then we fenced in 10,000 sq ft and the ducks and chickens roam in there. The guineas, however, can fly right out and continue to cause mayhem. Right now as i lay in bed I can hear them sqwaking.

Anyways, she said "oh, they're going to mess with your corn rows. Just make sure you pluck them, gut them and wash them before bagging them for the freezer.

So anyways, I topped my corn rows and my other section where I have mounds for squash. Between the rows of corn and squash i laid lots of chicken poop and compost before topping with straw. Hopefully the weeds are suppressed.

I hear those guineas again now. I also hear they taste like pheasant, which I hear tastes good. How should I prepare them?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We always had them fried when I was a kid. Same as we did for pheasant.

I only had guinea once as an adult and it was guinea noodle soup.

We never treated game animals any different than domestics when we cooked them. Peacock is always seemed more dry than the other poultry.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We always had them fried when I was a kid. Same as we did for pheasant.

I only had guinea once as an adult and it was guinea noodle soup.

We never treated game animals any different than domestics when we cooked them. Peacock is always seemed more dry than the other poultry.
Make some Tennessee Hot Guinea is what you're saying?

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mmmm crispy fried duck...

It is stupid hot today, so I have filled the animals water, chucked some pellets out to them and then come inside and hid under the air con. I will go out and spray some seasol around once the sun disappears a bit.

My pak choy on the kitchen sink seems to be going ok in the solution there, its not dead and seems a little bigger. The celery is growing sort of too, but doesn't have roots on it yet.

Hopefully the heat hasnt fried any of my seedlings...

Latest posts